Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: coronel rosales | partido de coronel rosales |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 23 October 2021
Villa General Arias (locally, Villa Arias; 1,845 inhabitants in 2010), part
of the district municipality of Coronel de Marina Leonardo Rosales (Coronel
Rosales), is located 10 km north of Punta Alta.
Villa Arias emerged around the branch of the South Railway connecting Bahia Blanca to Punta Alta, which as inaugurated on 1 November 1898. In 1905, Eleodoro Lobos, Ramón López Lecube and Mauricio Mayer acquired a part of the big domain owned by Gregorio Torres, Juan Martínez and Aristóbulo Durañona, which they sold the next year to César Martelli and Amalia Belli. They planned to found a new town named Colonia América; Juan Vaquer, appointed farmer, can be considered as the first inhabitant of the new settlement. In 1912, he acquired a plot from his employers, where he would stay until 1917.
The landlords offered plots to build the railway station and ,around it, offered first plots for sale. In 1917, they appointed engineer Frederico Del Ponte to delimit a urban structure on both sides of the railway, and farms. The same year, the estate was acquired by Banco Español del Río de la Plata, who hired Fernando Segovia to revamp the plan of the town, which was restricted to only one side of the railway. Completed in 1921, the new planning included plots for a school, a church, a square, a slaughterhouse, etc.
In 1922, the inauguration of a branch of the Rosario-Puerto Belgrano railway allowed connection of Villa Arias with Bahia Blanca. The town experienced another demographic boom in the 1970s, when 380 dwellings were built for the civil and military workers of neighboring Puerto Belgrano, Argentine's biggest naval base.
Colonia América was renamed to Villa General Arias in 1912.
José Inocencio Arias (1846-1912) fought during the Paraguayan War and the Conquest of the Desert. He was elected several times National Deputy and Governor of the Province of Buenos Aires (1910). In 1911, he visited Bahia Blanca to promote the establishment of a new province separated from Buenos Aires, La Pampa and Río Negro, whose capital would be Bahia Blanca. After the announcement of the general's death, César Martelli changed the name of the plan town to Villa Arias.
For a few years in the 1940s, Villa Arias was renamed to Villa Pinazo, as a tribute to Manuel de Pinazo (1718-1792), a landlord and commander of the borders of the Vice Kingdom of Río de la Plata, who explored the region in 1775.
Punta Alta municipal archives.
The flag of Villa Arias is prescribed by Ordinance No. 2,049 issued on 23 July 2021 by the Municipal Council of Coronel Rosales.
The official flag of Villa General Arias, District of Coronel de Marina Leonardo Rosales, Province of Buenos Aires, shall be the flag traditionally used as the town's representative symbol, whose design and meaning are detailed in Appendix I of this Ordinance.
Formed of three equal stripes arranged horizontally.
Upper stripe: Green, representing the place's vegetation.
Middle stripe: Yellow, the color of quinces, the place's characteristic fruits.
Lower stripe: Brown, symbol of the place's soil.
Coronel Rosales municipal website
The flag was inaugurated on 19 October 2021.
Noticias de Punta Alta, 20 October 2021
Ivan Sache, 23 October 2021