Last modified: 2020-07-26 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: san cayetano | partido de san cayetano |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The district of San Cayetano (8,119 inhabitants in 2001) is located in
the south-east of the Buenos Aires Province, 630 km south of Buenos
San Cayetano was founded on 13 March 1911 by Pedro Nolasco Carrera near a railway station. Three days later, plots were sold in an auction presided by Ramón Tristany. Three years later, the settlement included several houses. Destroyed on 6 January 1919 by a hurricane that claimed several lives, the village was rebuilt in 1921, with the inauguration of an agency of the Argentine National Bank and the registration of more than 100 shops.
San Cayetano is named for Cayetano de la Canal, one of the founders of Necochea, who was killed on 13 September 1855 in the Battle of San Antonio de Iraola, a bloody clash between the natives and the colonists.
The district of San Cayetano was founded by Law No. 5921 of 24 October 1958 , as the merger of parts of the districts of Necochea, Tres Arroyos and González Chaves. Beside the town of San Cayetano proper, the district includes the settlements of Cristiano Muero, Deferrari, El Carretero, Lumb, Ochandio and Balneario San Cayetano. Cristiano Muero, located 55 km of the town of San Cayetano and named for the brook of the same name, was settled in 1870 by Angel Ignacio Murga, one of the founders of Necochea and Commander of the National Guard. The inauguration of a railway station boosted the development of the settlement.
Deferrari, located 20 km of the town of San Cayetano, was established in 1907 near a railway station built by the Southern Railways on land offered by Luis Deferrari, a main colonist of the southeastern part of the Buenos Aires Province.
El Carretero, located 30 km of the town of San Cayetano and on the border with the district of Tres Arroyos, is a main center of grain production in the district.
Lumb, located 30 km of the town of San Cayetano, was established in 1908 near a railway station built by the Southern Railways on land offered by Eduardo Lumb, an Argentine citizen of English origin who promoted the development of railway in the country. The village is a main center of cattle-breeding in the district.
Ochandio, located 15 km of the town of San Cayetano, was established in 1907 near a railway station built by the Southern Railways on land offered by Basilio Ochandio. The village is a main center of grain production in the district. The Sun of May battlefield, where Colonel Benito Machado defeated the natives in 1857, is located near the village.
Balneario San Cayetano, a sea resort located 75 km of the town of San Cayetano, was inaugurated on 5 February 1969 on a 200-ha plot offered by the Saenz Rosas family. The place is nicknamed "El sueno del Pescador", the Fisher's Dream.
Ivan Sache, 3 Oct 2012
The flag of San Cayetano is diagonally divided, per bend sinister,
celeste blue-green. Along the flag's diagonal is placed a yellow wheat
grain, separated from the coloured fields by a white fimbriation.
The wheat grain represents agriculture (the district produces 45% of
the grain yield of the Buenos Aires Province, crops, mostly wheat
[100,000 ha] using 65% of the area of the district), wealth, abundance
and intelligence. Blue represents the sky, generosity, masculine
action, clearness and tranquillity. Green represents vegetation, life,
the cyclic renewing of nature and hope. White represents peace and
The flag, designed by David Carrín, was selected in a public contest. In a first step, a jury short-listed three contenders out of the 11 submitted proposals. Everyone older than 15 and born in San Cayetano or living in the town since more than 5 years had been invited to submit a proposal. In a second step, 231 citizens of San Cayetano, older than 15, voted for their preferred design. David Carrín obtained 131 votes, Norma Garcilazo obtained 119 votes, and Juan Manuel García Llanos obtained the remaining 43 votes.
The flag was blessed and inaugurated on 13 March 2011 during the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the town.
Ivan Sache, 3 Oct 2012
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.