This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Trenque Lauquen District (Buenos Aires Province, Argentina)

Partido de Trenque Lauquen

Last modified: 2018-10-12 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: trenque lauquen | partido de trenque lauquen | lauquen |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag of Trenque Lauquen]
by Ivan Sache, 12 May 2017 See also:

About the district

The municipality of Trenque Lauquen (33,442 inhabitants in 2010) is located 450 km south-west of Buenos Aires City.

Trenque Lauquen means "a round pound" in Mapuche language, referring to the pond once used by Cacique Pincén to refresh his horses. The town was established on 12 April 1876 by General Conrado Villegas (1841-1884) during the Conquest of the Desert, a military campaign initiated by the government to colonize Patagonia.

Ivan Sache 12 May 2017

Other sites:

Description of the flag

The proposed flag deliberately ignores bellicose elements - either native or military. It aims at reflecting the image of the capital town, of the two most important settlements, and of the other inhabited areas.

The design borrows from the municipal coat of arms the sun and the round pond The conjunction of the sky and the pond is reminiscent of the national flag. In the center, the thistle, fond everywhere in the municipality, represents the whole region; the thistle was preferred to the ceibo tree, an element of national significance.

The flag, inaugurated on 26 June 2013, is prescribed by Ordinance No. 3,026, adopted on 9 May 2008 and promulgated on 15 May 2008. The flag was designed by the architect Lilian Marcos, winner of a public contest organized by the municipality. The contest rules stated that the submissions should "take into account the municipal coat of arms and include some of its features". The coat of arms was designed in 1951 by the sculptor Pedro Biscardi, also the author of the monument of General San Martín erected the next year in the town. The designer explained that the thistle is a relevant symbol of the town, being "humble but strong to resist harsh conditions".

Ivan Sache, 12 May 2017

Other sites:

Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.