Last modified: 2021-12-23 by rob raeside
Keywords: caseros department | santa fé province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Arteaga (3,089 inhabitants in 2010; 27,700 ha) is located in the south of the Santa Fe Province, 60 km of Casilda.
Arteaga was established in 1881 by Alfredo de Arteaga, who offered a part of his estate, Colonia Arteaga, "to found a new settlement". Since the new town was not recognized by any official text, its date of foundation was fixed as 15 December 1881, the day the Ministry of Government accepted Arteaga's request.
The flag of Arteaga is prescribed by Order No. 38, issued on 17 November 2008 by the Municipal Council, as the result of the public contest "A flag for Arteaga".
The flag is green with three thin blue-white-blue horizontal stripes at the top (representing the flag of Argentina) and three thin red-white-blue horizontal stripes at the bottom (representing the flag of Santa Fe). In the center is placed a white oval bordered in black, inscribing an emblem that features a yellow sun, a black half cog-wheel, and a black railway.
Ivan Sache, 27 July 2019
The municipality of Berabev˙ (2,393 inhabitants in 2001; 226 sq. km)
is located in southern Santa Fe Province, 320 km of Santa Fe City.
Berabev˙ was first settled by Carlos Calado de Alisal. The town emerged as a railway station built between the towns of Los Quirquinchos and Cha˝ar Ladeado. Plots were acquired by the railway engineer Enrique Woodgate, who commissioned in 1902 a company from Cˇrdoba, to draft the plan of a new settlement. The exact date of establishment of Berabev˙ is not known; for years, it was fixed to 2 July 1908, the day the first Municipal Commission was allegedly established. Since no record of this event was found in the Provincial Archives, the date of establishment of the town was subsequently changed to 1 July 1902, the day the railway station was inaugurated.
The origin of the name of Berabev˙ is disputed. The most commonly accepted etymology to a Guarani word meaning "a large laguna", alluding to a laguna died-up long ago. The historian Saturnino Muniagurria believes that the roots of the name are the words "breva", "shining", and "bevu", "light", "floating". The historian Udaondo claims that "berabev˙" was the local name of a plant growing profusely in the region.
Berabev˙ is the birth town of Alejandro Gˇmez (1908-2005), who was elected Vice President of Argentina in 1958 and resigned seven months later following a policy dispute with President Arturo Frondizi.
The flag of Berabev˙ is prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 19 of 27 June 2012.
The flag was inaugurated on 1 July 2012 during the celebration of the 110th anniversary of the establishment of the town.
The flag is divided green-blue by an orange ascending diagonal stripe, with its upper edge outlined in gray. A seven-rayed yellow sun is placed in canton.
Green represents the sown fields, as a source of work for most inhabitants of the area.
Orange represents the rising sun that enlightens every morning the horizon of Berabev˙.
Celeste blue represents the immense sky.
The sun, as the source of life, is taken from the coat of arms of Berabev˙; The gray line represents the railways, as the origin of the settlement of Berabev˙.
Orange and blue recall the etymology of Berabev˙. Orange is the colour of the fruit of the shrub locally known as "berabev˙". Blue is the colour of water, alluding to the meaning of "berabev˙" in Guarani, "a big laguna".
The coat of arms of Berabev˙, oval with a double black outline, is compliant with the heraldic traditions of the province and of the country. The Spanish-Arab shape of the shield, inscribed within a rectangle with rounded-off corners, grants a modern configuration to the shield.
The field of the shield is horizontally divided into two equal parts. The upper part is azure (blue), representing the sky, why the lower part is argent (white), representing the purity and integrity of the inhabitants of the town.
The charges of the shield are placed vertically. In the middle of the shield appears the sun, yellow or (yellow), meaning the source of energy required for life and the main activity in the region (Humid Pampa). Above the sun and along the vertical axis of the shield is placed a cross (of brown colour), as a reference to faith, symbolizing the Christian vocation historically adopted by the population. Beneath the sun, along the vertical axis of the shield are placed railways (of gray and brown colours), as the symbol of the origin and location of the settlement and of means of communication and development in the first decades of existence of the settlement. Finally, in base of the shield, still along its vertical axis, is placed a basket filled with the main products of the region: maize, wheat, soy. The basket is coloured or, as a symbol of work accomplished generation after generation.
The font used for the date of foundation of the settlement [not shown on the image) is Euro Roman.
The flag was selected in the public contest "Berabev˙ elige su bandera" (Berabev˙ elects its flag), prescribed in 2012 by Municipal Ordinance No. 8. The three winning designed, selected among 14 proposals, were proclaimed by the jury in Decision No. 1 of 2 June 2012. The first prize was awarded to Provincial School No. 6,029 "JosÚ Pedroni); the second prize was awarded to Idio Antonio Faraoni; the third prize was awarded to School of Intermediate Teaching for Adults No. 1,259.
Permission to use the flag is granted to individuals, institutions, cultural, educative, social and sports entities, and to private organisms.
Ivan Sache, 10 Aug 2013
The municipality of Bigand (5,177 inhabitants in 2008; 30,100 ha) is located in the south of the Province of Santa Fe, 240 km of the provincial capital.
The town, founded on 15 July 1909, is named for his founder, VÝctor Aureliano Bigand, the son of a colon of French origin (more exactly from CauliŔres, Picardy), HonorÚ Juan Bautista Bigand, who had built a grain mill in the area in 1878-1880. The announcement published in the Rosario newspaper "El Capital" on 15 October 1910 yielded the building of more than 100 houses within a year.
The recent adoption and subsequent use of the municipal flag was reported on several pages of the municipal blog, as follows.
15 July 2009: A colour photo shows the flag presented by its designer, Caren Menna.
The other entries submitted in the public contest "Nuestra Bandera" (Our Flag) are shown
17 July 2009: Caren Menna describes her flag
Intended to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the town, the flag shows near the hoist a half rising sun, representing the birth of the town.
The red colour of the sun symbolizes valor and courage. The rays of the sun are represented in a curvilinear, tribal shape, contrasting with the rectilinear shape used in other flags.
The background of the flag is yellow near the hoist, contrasting with the red colour of the sun and symbolizing light, joy, happiness, intelligence and energy.
The colours of the flag are those of the national and provincial flags: celeste blue, white, red and yellow. The limit between the yellow and blue flags is not straightforward but made of a yellow-white-blue gradation, confirmed on the aforementioned photo of the real flag.
18 August 2009: The building of the "Paseo de las Banderas" (Flags' Promenade), on which the flags of all the Argentinean provinces will be hoisted together with the flag of Bigand and, on the highest pole, of Argentina, is announced.
13 October 2009: The inauguration of the Flags' Promenade during the festival celebrating of the 100th anniversary of the town, held on 12 October, is reported, with colour photos.
19 October 2009: A students' visit to the Flags' Promenade is reported, with a colour photo showing the flag of Bigand hoisted outdoors.
18 December 2009: The result of a local computer freaks' contest are proclaimed, with a colour photo showing the flag of Bigand hoisted indoors.
Ivan Sache, 18 December 2009
The flag was selected in a public contest organized in 1997 by the
municipality. The winning design, submitted by David Mottura, was adopted as the
municipal flag by Ordinance No. 715, signed on 18 September 1997.
White is a symbol of peace, solidarity, integration, which are the achievements of all those who settled this land.
Red is the colour of Federalism, also present on the flags of Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland, Great Britain and Belgium, the nationalities at the origin of Colonia Candelaria.
Green is the colour of the plains and of aspiration to a better future.
Yellow is a symbol of the income supplied to Casilda by agriculture.
The wheat spike is C-shaped, for "Casilda".
http://www.casilda.gov.ar/web/ciudad/casilda-historica/los-simbolos - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 16 May 2017Other sites: