Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: vera department | santa fé province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Fortín Olmos (1,991 inhabitants in 2001) is located in the north of the Santa Fe Province, 330 km from Santa Fe City.
The flag of Fortín Olmos is horizontally divided blue-green-red. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms, designed some years ago by alumni from the village.
The flag was inaugurated on 25 September 2011.
Ivan Sache, 18 Jan 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 15 December 2016
The municipality of Vera (20,509 inhabitants in 2010; 165,700 h),
located 260 km north of Santa Fé, is the capital of the Vera department.
Vera and the surroundings were listed in the 1887 census as "uninhabited" and "unexplored". Colonists of different origins settled in the area to exploit the dense forests.
A railway station was established in 1890, near a curve in the railway heading to Resistencia; the station was named Vera, for Mariano Vera, Provincial Governor from 1816 to 1818, while the settlement that emerged was named La Curva.
In 1892, the landlord Eugenio Alemán proposed to establish a new settlement, which was approved on 23 June 1892 by the Provincial Government. The town was named Jobson, for Juan Pedro Jobson, the man appointed by the government to organize the defence of the region from native's raids. The Provincial Government called the department Vera, for Antonio de Vera y Mujica, a Spaniard who had campaigned against the natives assaulting Santa Fé; accordingly, the town was known as Jobson Vera, a name shortened to Vera in 1964.
http://municipalidadvera.com - Municipal website
http://www.infovera.com.ar/2013/10/vera-de-colonia-ferroviaria-a-municipio - InfoVera, 28 October 2013
The flag of Vera, inaugurated on 23 June 2012 during the celebration of the 120th anniversary of the foundation of the town, was designed by Ariel Gastón Díaz, winner of a public contest prescribed by Ordinance No. 1,547.
The flag is charged with an Argentine sun, recalling 25 May 1810 [overthrowing of the colonial viceroy) and 9 July 1816 [proclamation of independence]. The sun, both a reference and an aspiration, represents the town.
Celestial blue and white represent the national feeling.
The red half-disk completing the sun represents the Cuña Boscosa (lit. the Woody Cradle), a woody area spreading over the Provinces of Santa Fé, Chaco, Corrientes, and Formosa. Red is the colour of the tannin of the willow-leaf red quebracho (Schinopsis balansae Engl.).
The stars represent the district forming the department, established along a railway today disappeared. Red is the colour of the Tannin Way.
http://municipalidadvera.com/simbolos-de-la-ciudad - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 15 December 2016