This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cruz del Eje Department, Córdoba Province, Argentina

Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: cruz del eje department | córdoba province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Cruz del Eje Municipality

[Cruz del Eje municipal flag] image by Ivan Sache, 06 Jan 2014

The municipality of Cruz del Eje (30,680 inhabitants in 2010) is located in the northwest of the Córdoba Province, 150 km from Córdoba City.

Cruz del Eje is of unknown precise origin, its foundation being related by different local legends.

A first legend is related by the poet Ataliva Herrera (1888-1953) in the poem "Bamba" (1933), part 5; the poet describes the single combat between Captain Tristán de Allende and Cacique Olayón, which ended with the simultaneous death of the two fighters. The event, reported in several chronicles kept in the historical archives of the Córdoba Province, was commemorated by the erection of a cross.

The second legend was published under the pseudonym "Namúm Curá" in the newspaper "Los Principios", 6 September 1927. The author relates the sad death of the merchant Tomás lturrilicoechea in a cart accident. The merchant fell down on the head and broke his neck after an axlet ("eje") of his cart had broken down.

According to the historian Juan Carlos Lozada Echenique, the name of the town, undoubtedly, refers to a cross made of cart's axlets. There is no hint, however, on whom may have decided to erect the cross.

The town of Cruz del Eje was not founded from scratch; it was progressively established by descendants of the Spanish colonists who owned estates near Siguiman and San Marcos. Other colonists came from Punilla and another few more from the town of Córdoba.

On 2 September 1735, Francisco de Baigorrí asked to Juan de Armaza y Arregui, Governor of Tucumán, the concession of the lands "commonly known as Cruz del Eje". Judge Estanislao de Toledo Pimentel signed the act of property on 22 September 1735. These are the first documents mentioning Cruz del Eje as a specific territory.

Cruz del Eje is the birth town of the singer Jairo (b. 1949 as Mario Rubén González), performer of more than 500 songs in Spanish, French and Italian.

The Department of Cruz del Eje was established by the Provincial Decree of 15 July 1856, seceding from Punilla. The Department is made of the municipalities of Soto (1888), Serrezuela (1925), San Marcos (1953) and Cruz del Eje (4 June 1890).

The Bishopric of Cruz del Eje was established on 12 August 1963.

The flag of Cruz del Eje is prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 1,382 of 2 April 1999.

The flag is horizontally divided olive green-white-sky blue. In the middle of the flag is placed a yellow sun superimposed with a brown map of the department charged with a yellow triangle.

White is the colour of cotton. The yellow triangle represents the location of the town of Cruz del Eje in the department of the same name.

Ivan Sache, 06 Jan 2014

Other sites: