Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: colón department | córdoba province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Colonia Caroya (16,168 inhabitants in 2010; 6,970 ha) is
located in Colón Department, 45 km of Córdoba.
Colonia Caroya originates in the Estancia Jesuítica de Colonia Caroya, an estate established in 1616 by the Society of Jesus, which was inscribed in 2000 in the UNESCO World Heritage List, as part of the Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba:
"The Jesuit Block in Córdoba, heart of the former Jesuit Province of Paraguay, contains the core buildings of the Jesuit system: the university, the church and residence of the Society of Jesus, and the college. Along with the five estancias, or farming estates, they contain religious and secular buildings, which illustrate the unique religious, social, and economic experiment carried out in the world for a period of over 150 years in the 17th and 18th centuries.
The Block’s supporting estancias each included a church or chapel, priests’ residence, ranches for slaves and indigenous peoples, work areas (camps, mills, beating mills, etc.), hydraulic systems (breakwaters, irrigation ditches, canals, etc.), farmhouses, and large extents of land for cattle breeding.
The outstanding achievements of the Jesuit Block and Estancias of Córdoba include the development of technologies based on local resources, both material and human, and the use of the respective knowledge of the participants – the religious Order and the indigenous and African slave labourers – all of which resulted in a mixture of architectural, technological, and artistic expressions reflecting mannerist and baroque influences adapted to the locality."
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/995 - UNESCO World Heritage List
The domain was acquired in 1661 by Ignacio Duarte Quirós, founder of Colegio Monserrat. The priest established a wealthy farm producing wheat, maize, fruit, wine, honey and cotton. During the War of Independence, the farm housed in 1814-1816 a weapon factory, producing bayonets for the North Army.
Purchased by the State in 1854, the place was settled in 1876 by immigrants from Friul (Italy), who initiated urbanization in 1878, keeping most buildings erected by the Society of Jesus (manor, chapel,
fishery, remains of mills).
http://www.cordobaturismo.gov.ar/localidad/colonia-caroya - Córdoba tourism website
The flag of Colonia Caroya was selected in a public contest, whose results were proclaimed on 24 December 2014. Four designs were short-listed among 43 proposals by 27 representatives of institutions, cultural groups, citizen's centers and the Córdoba National University.
The winning design, proposed by the teacher Laura Udrizar, received 52% (965) of the votes (1,852). The flag is red with a plane tree leaf charged with a "foreign" [brown] hand holding a bunch of grapes.
Red represents energy, strength and peoples.
Plane trees are an emblematic element of the town, robust and elegant, providing their generous canopy and shadows.
The hand is a symbol of force, work and commitment.
The second most voted proposal (402, 22%), submitted by Juan Santiago Roya Peralta (13 years old) is diagonally divided blue-orange by a white bend, with a bunch of grapes in lower hoist and a plane tree
leaf in upper fly.
The third most voted proposal (283, 15%) was submitted by Kevin Coronel (9 years old).
The fourth most voted proposal (202, 11%), submitted by Ignacio Arias (13 years old), is horizontally divided green-red-black with a bunch of grapes hold by two hands, brown and pink, respectively.
http://nuevoesestecielo.blogspot.fr/2014/12/los-caroyenses-eligieron-su-bandera.html - Primer Día, December 2014
Photo of the flag
Image above after the original submission; the flag actually manufactured is said to differ in minor details from the original.
Ivan Sache, 23 April 2017
The municipality of Río Ceballos (22,432 inhabitants in 2010) is
located in the Province of Córdoba (Colón Department), 40 km north of
The flag of Río Ceballos is vertically divided red-white-green, with a sun rising over three waves in the national colour in the white stripe. Red represents the valiance of the inhabitants of the region. White represents the legacy and integration of the native peoples, Comenchingon and Sanaviron, which merged with the Hispanic new settlers. Green represents the natural, mountainous environment.
The celestial blue waves are taken from the municipal coat of arms, representing the two brooks that form the river crossing the town (and its namesake), while the sun represents Argentina.
The flag was selected among 87 proposals submitted by different colleges and institutions of the town.
The rules of the contest specified, among usual prescriptions, that the flag should by 1.44 m in length on 0.90 m in width, in landscape format.
Ivan Sache, 03 Sep 2016