This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pecq (Municipality, Province of Hainaut, Belgium)

Last modified: 2014-03-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: pecq | saltire (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Pecq]         [Flag of Pecq]

Municipal flag of Pecq - Images by Arnaud Leroy, 19 September 2007
Left, flag in use
Right, official flag, not used

See also:

Presentation of Pecq and its villages

The municipality of Pecq (5,309 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 3,291 ha) is located on the Scheldt, close to the borders with France and with (West) Flanders. The municipality of Pecq is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Pecq, Esquelmes, Hérinnes, Obigies and Warcoing.

Pecq is a mixed rural and urban village located along the Tournai-Kortrijk national road. The St. Martin church of Pecq, listed in 1108 on a Bull signed by Pope Paschal II, was mostly rebuilt in the 15th-16th centuries in late Tournai Gothic style; a few remains of the 11th-century Romanesque church are stil visible, however. Severely damaged during the First World War, the church was restored in 1922-1923 by the architect Clerbaux.
The castle of Pecq belonged in 1134 to Bernard of Pesch; burned in 1450, it was nearly suppressed during the French Revolution. Only two wings from the 17th century have been preserved, in the middle of a big park with ponds and surrounded by moats supplied in water by the Scheldt. The park has kept an old embarking channel once linked to the Scheldt, with two quays and stairs made of stone.

Esquelmes is a street-village. Its parish church, dedicated to St. Eleutherius, is one of the oldest Romanesque churches in Europe. The tradition says that Eleutherius, Bishop of Tournai, used to pray in the church. Another legend says that a souterrain links the church to the Devil's castle, once a Templar fortress.

Hérinnes, located on the right bank of the Scheldt, is another street-village. It has two manors, respectively called château d'en-haut (Upper Castle) and château d'en-bas (Lower Castle).

Obigies, located on the right bank of the Scheldt, is made of five hamlets scattered along the Tournai-Oudenaarde road. The parish church, built in 1862 in neo-Romanesque style, was consecrated on 27 October 1862 by His Grace Labis, Bishop of Tournai, born in Warcoing. Obigies is the Belgian capital of geranium, celebrated there every year for more than 20 years.

Warcoing, located on the left bank of the Scheldt, is the most industrialized village of the municipality. It developed along the Pecq-Avelgem provincial road.

Source: Municipal website

Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 19 September 2007

Flag of Pecq

According to Armoiries communales en Belgique. Communes wallonnes, bruxelloises et germanophones [w2v03a], the flag of Pecq is white with a red saltire and a white shield bordered in blue in the upper quarter.
This is the flag of the former Barony of Pecq, with the arms of Wavrins as the shield.

However, the municipal administration has confirmed that the usual flag of Pecq is a simple vertically divided red-white flag.

Arnaud Leroy, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 19 September 2007