Last modified: 2011-11-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: deppe | compagnie belge de transports maritimes | rosette (red) | roundel: belgium | letters: ad (blue) | compagnie royale belgo-argentine | lion (yellow | crown (yellow) | letters: crba (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Armement Deppe
Left, most commonly reported flag - Image by Jarig Bakker, 7 November 2003, after All about Ships and Shipping, 1934 [har34].
Right, reported variant, 1934-1949 - Image by Jorge Candeias, 17 April 2005
Armement Deppe was formed in 1863 as Adolph Deppe; it was based in Antwerp and specialized in the route to Central and South America. In 1960, the
Compagnie Maritime Belge took
over Armement Deppe. The merging into N.V. CMB S.A. was effective on 1 January 1984.
The Eurosal consortium was built between nine European and South American ship owners: Johnson Line, Armement Deppe, Compania Naviera Marasia (Madrid, Spain), Compania Sud-Americana de Vapores (Valparaiso, Chile), Hapag-Lloyd (Hamburg/Bremen, Germany), Lineas Navieras Bolivianas (La Paz, Bolivia), Nedlloyd (Rotterdam, The Netherlands), Pacific Steam Navigation Company (Liverpool, United Kingdom) and Transportes Navieros Ecuatorianos (Guayaquil, Ecuador). In 1987 Empremar (Valparaiso, Chile) and CNP (Lima, Peru) joined the Eurosal consortium.
The CMB website, however, says that some lines were discontinued due to oil crises and the resulting economic difficulties, during the late seventies/early eighties. Armement Deppe is not mentioned by name, but was probably among the victims.
Jan Mertens & Neale Rosanoski, 16 November 2004
The house flag of Armement Deppe is shown in Larousse
Commercial (1930) [hok30] as a white flag with a broad blue border (1/5
of flag height); in the middle a red rosette between blue letters A
and D. The funnel was yellow.
Lloyd's book of house flags and funnels of the principal steamship lines of the world and the house flags of various lines of sailing vessels, published at Lloyd's Royal Exchange. London. E.C. (1912) [llo12], also available online thanks to the Mystic Seaport Foundation, shows a similar house flag for Adolf Deppe, also called Compagnie Belge de Transports Maritimes.
Jan Mertens, 6 May 2004
This is the original flag which may have been altered between the World Wars. Brown's Flags and Funnels (1929) shows this flag but in the 1934 edition the central flower emblem shows a target of red, yellow and black (inner), the outer edged of the red being serrated. Possibly this is just a variation of the design portrayal and I have not found anyone commenting on a change. Talbot-Booth has used the same design for his books between 1936 [tbb36] and 1949 whilst Brown, in 1951 and 1958 [wed58] shows it just as a roundel without the outer serrations. Everyone else, before during and after, show the version as shown here.
Neale Rosanoski, 16 November 2004
House flag of Compagnie Royale Belgo-Argentine - Image by Jarig Bakker, 11 January 2005
Armement Deppe appears to have operated other companies which were possibly subsidiaries. One of these, Compagnie Royale Belgo-Argentine S.A. was formed in 1906 with its last ship showing absorbed under Armement Deppe in the early 1960s.
Neale Rosanoski, 16 November 2004
According to Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies, 1926 [wed26], the house flag of Compagnie Royale Belgo-Argentine is a white flag bordered blue, with a yellow lion rampant, a yellow crown on the upper left of the lion, and the red letters "C", "R", "B" and "A" in the corners.
Jarig Bakker, 11 January 2005