Last modified: 2017-05-31 by ian macdonald
Keywords: paraíba | campina grande | chevron (yellow) | swords: 3 (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Joseph McMillan
The following is abridged from the official municipal website.
The flag, coat of arms, and standard of the Municipality of Campina Grande were adopted by municipal law no. 54 of 26 August 1974. Devised by the distinguished heraldist Father Paulo Leishmayer, the various symbols are in strict accordance with the rules of heraldry. The chevron unites multiple meanings. By its geometric form, it recalls a compass, the instrument of reasoned work. It also connotes, in the view of the well-known heraldist Alejandro Armengol y Pereira, the spurs of horsemen, alluding to the cattle herdsmen who pioneered the progress of Campina Grande. The gold color of the chevron (yellow in the flag) has the same significance. The swords symbolize not only the fighting spirit of the mountain people but, in historical terms, their participation in three important Brazilian movements: the Pernambucan Revolution of 1817; the Confederation of the Equator in 1824; and the Praieira Revolution in 1848.
The law provides that the flag will be 5:7 (1.00 x 1.40 meters).
The difference between the flag and the standard is that the standard
is trimmed with green and yellow cord around the edge of the field
with tassels in the same colors at the four corners.
Joseph McMillan, 13 March 2003