Last modified: 2012-04-07 by ian macdonald
Keywords: pernambuco | igarassu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 7 May 2011, recoloured by Ivan
Sache, 5 March 2012
Vertically tricolor, 1:2:1, dark green-white-deep yellow, with the municipal arms centred.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 7 May 2011
The municipality of Igarassu (103,536 inhabitants in 2010; 306 sq. km) is
located in the Recife Metropolitan Area, 30 km of Recife. The municipality is
made of the town of Igarassu proper and of the districts of Nova Cruz and Três Ladeiras.
Igarassu was established in 27 September 1535 by Captain Afonso Gonçalves, who had built a chapel dedicated to Sts. Cosmos and Damian to celebrate his victory over the Caetés Indians; the chapel is considered as the oldest in Brazil. Igarassu was made a "vila" in 1564 (this the most probable date in the absence of written source). Commanded by Deiddeirck van Waerdenburch, the Dutch looted the town on 1 May 1632. The municipality of Igarassu was established by Law No. 52 of 5 December 1859. Igarassu was granted the status of "cidade" by State Law No. 130 of 3 July 1895. The town was proclaimed a State Public Monument on 26 September 1935.
The flag of Igarassu is prescribed by Law No. 981 of 24 October 1968. White is the color of the Portuguese Royal standard at the time of the foundation of the town (John III's reign). Green and yellow are the colours of the Brazilian flag. There is also a flag anthem.
The coat of arms of Igarassu is prescribed by Law No. 395 of 26 August 1960. It was designed by the artist Luiz Gomes Corrêa de Arruda, based on research made by the Directorate of the Municipal Historical Institute. The shield is divided per fess by a fimbriation or inscribed with the date of establishment of the "vila", 27 September 1535, sable. The upper quarter is taken from the coat of arms of Duarte Coelho Pereira, known as "The Founder". The lower quarter is tierced per pale in the Dutch colors, inscribed with dates recalling the period of the Dutch rule. The blue stripe is charged with the date of burning of Igarassu, which caused the death of most of its inhabitants; the red stripe is charged with the date of expelling of the invaders from Pernambuco. In the middle is a Dutch-styled seal argent showing the arms granted in 1639 by Prince Maurice of Nassau to Igarassu. A scroll argent placed below the shield has a bunch of grapes appended, as the symbol of Itamaracá and is inscribed with the date "28 de maio 1846" (28 May 1846), recalling the annexation of Itamaracá to Igarassu. The shield is surrounded by adornments and of plants significant for the local economy. The shield is surmounted by a four-towered mural crown argent ports gules, symbolizing the municipal emancipation granted on 28 February 1893. The whole is surmounted by a laurel crown and a red scroll for the martyrs' blood, inscribed "DIVISA - BRASÃO DE ARMAS DE IGARASSU".
<br-pe075.gif> - image recolored with the Brazilian colors, as
prescribed in the Law