Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: andira | saltire (yellow) | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
7:10 image by Joseph McMillan
The municipality of Andirá (20,031 inhabitants in 2019; 23,480 ha) is located
on the border with São Paulo state, 400 km north-west of Curitiba.
Andirá was established in 1927 during the building of the São Paulo-Paraná railway, around the Ingá station, established on a plot owned by Bráulio Barbosa Ferraz. The first colonists settled next year.
The district of Ingá was established within the municipality of Cambará, by State Decree-Law No. 347 promulgated on 30 March 1935.
The municipality of Andirá was established by State Decree-Law No. 199 promulgated on 31 December 1943 and inaugurated on 14 January 1944. Bráulio Barbosa Ferraz was appointed first Mayor of the town.
The flag of Andirá is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 354 promulgated on 11 December 1968.
The flag of the municipality was designed by Arcinóe Antonio Peixoto de Faria.
§1. The flag is quartered per saltire, the quarters being in turn green and red, green being placed in the top and bottom quarters and red in the lateral quarters of the rectangle. The quarters are constituted by four white stripes superimposed with yellow stripes, placed two by two in bend and bend sinister starting from the angles of a white central rectangle charged with the coat of arms of the town.
§2. The reproduction of the municipal flag shall obey the national flag's official dimensions.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Andirá is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 353 promulgated on 11 December 1968.
The coat of arms of the municipality, designed by Arcinóe Antonio Peixoto de Faria, is described as follows in heraldic language.
A Samnite shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. Argent a bunch of inga fructed proper. A bordure bricked gules and or in chief a roof of the same. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee fructed proper and sinister by a maize plant proper, the two interlaced in base supporting a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent the toponym "ANDIRÁ" surrounded by years "1927" and "1943".
The Samnite shield used to represent the arms of Andirá was the first style of shield introduced to Portugal, under French influence; it evokes the colonizing Latin race, main builder of the Brazilian nation.
The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of domain's coats of arms; argent (silver), with eight towers, only five of them visible in perspective view, it indicates a 3rd rank town, seat of a county.
Argent (silver) is the heraldic symbol of peace, work, friendship, prosperity and purity.
The inga fructed proper evokes the original name of the place, Ingá, chosen for the abundance of these fruits in the area; it was subsequently changed for Andirá because a town of the same name already existed in Paraíba.
The bordure is the heraldic symbol of favor and protection. The bricks gules (red) and or (gold), as well as the roof in chief recall one of the municipality's sources of income, extraction of clay used to make bricks and tiles. Gules (red) is the hieroglyph of fertility, audacity, intrepidity, courage, patriotic love, which were the characteristics of the intrepid colonizers of the North Paraná hinterland. Or (gold) is a symbol of wealth, nobleness, splendor, highness and command.
The outer ornaments, a branch of coffee fructed proper and a maize plant proper, are the main crops offered by the fertile and generous land, being the municipality's main sources of income.
The scroll is inscribed with the years of foundation ("1927") and municipal emancipation ("1943") of Andirá.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022