Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: araucaria | saltire (yellow) | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Joseph McMillan
The municipality of Araucária (146,214 inhabitants in 2020; 46,917 ha) is
located 30 km south-west of Curitiba.
Araucária originally developed around the chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Light of Tindiqüera. The population progressively moved to the banks of river Iguaçu, the seat of the parish being transferred to Our Lady of the Remedies of Yguassú.
Established by Provincial Law No. 21 promulgated on 28 February 1858, the parish of Iguassú was elevated a district in 1868 and transferred from Curitiba to São José dos Pinhais, to be reallocated to Curitiba in 1888.
The municipality of Araucária was established by State Decree No. 40 issued on 11 February 1890. The name of the municipality was coined by Victor Ferreira do Amaral, a medical doctor who petitioned for municipal emancipation.
The flag and arms of Araucária are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,439 promulgated on 25 November 2003.
The flag of the municipality of Araucária is composed of a white quadrilateral, charged in the center with the coat of arms of the municipality of Araucária.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the flag shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Araucária has the following characteristics.
I. In the center, a Portuguese shield divided by lines forming distinct fields.
II. In the shield's lower part, in blue, river Iguaçu, in green, a rainforest.
III. In the shield's upper part, on blue, diverging sunrays, in search of new horizons, with the writing "Araucária", in red letters, surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown, only five of them visible in perspective view, or.
IV. The shield of Araucária is supported right by a chimney, symbolizing industry, and left by a ripe wheat plant, the two representing the municipality's sources of income, tied in base by a scroll gules inscribed in black "11-02-1890 - Cidade Simbolo de Paraná", the date of political emancipation of Araucária.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022