Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | maringa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Andy Weir
The municipality of Maringá (436,472 inhabitants in 2021, therefore Paraná's
most populated municipality; 48,701 ha) is located 450 km north-west of
Maringá was named for a song that was extremely popular among workers during the building of the town, therefore its nickname of Song Town.`
"Maringá", recorded in 1932 by Gastão Forment (1894-1974) and Orchestra Victor Brasileira, was the main success of prolific songwriter Joubert de Carvalho (1900-1977, also a notable medical doctor).
"Maringá" is a lament by a poor caboclo from the town of Pombal (Paraíba), whose beloved Maringá left Nordeste after a severe drought episode. The song is inspired from a story related to Joubert by his friend Ruy Carneiro (1906-1977; Senator from 1951 to 1977), also a native from Pombal. Maringá would be the contraction of "Maria do Ingá", referring to the borough where the girl lived.
"Maringá" was officially proclaimed Pombal's official anthem.
The flag and arms of Maringá are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 332 promulgated on 9 November 1964.
The coat of arms and flag of the municipality of Maringá have the following characteristics.
A. French-[...] Portuguese shield. In the chief's right canton, a star or signifying Cia. Melhoramentos Norte do Paraná, founder of the municipality. In the center, a stylized lyre (three strings) or, symbolizing the name inspired by a song. In base an axe argent, representing the tool used by pioneers to clear the forests to establish the town. The Southern Cross argent recalls the Christian faith and the Brazilian national spirit. All charges on a field gules (red), symbol of intrepidity. At the base a scroll argent inscribed with the words sable (black) "1947 - Maringá - 1952". The shield supported dexter (right) and sinister (left) by a coffee branch and a wheat plant, respectively, all proper. The shield surmounted by a five-towered mural argent proper to a town.
B. Flag divided in three horizontal stripes, with the coat of arms of the municipality placed at hoist. The first stripe in white, symbolizes candor (peace), the second, in yellow (gold), symbolizes strength; the third, in red (gules), represents intrepidity.
Leis Municipais database
The flag was designed by Reynaldo Costa, aka Seo Reynaldo, who won the public contest organized by the municipal administration.
Seo Reynaldo emigrated to Maringá in 1951 with his parents, coming from São Sebastião do Paraíso (Minas Gerais). He was then hired as a graphic designer by a local company. In 1977 the was appointed Curator of historical heritage by Cooperativa Agroindustrial de Maringá (Cocamar).
To produce his proposal, Seo Reynaldo used the best available material at the time, that is, ink sold be a Dutch company and higher-grade paper produced by a Swiss company.
The designer proudly broke "taboos" of the time, that is, a design composed of three horizontal stripes and the placement of the coat of arms at hoist.
The use of a wheat plant as supporter was lively questioned during the contest and the first years of use of the flag. In the 1960s, wheat was mostly cultivated in Rio Grande do Sul and in Southern and South-Eastern Paraná. Selecting wheat as a symbol of Maringá was then considered as madness.
Gazeta Maringá, 7 June 2013
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2022