This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

São José dos Pinhais, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | sao jose dos pinhais | tree (pine | araucaria) | cogwheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

São José dos Pinhais, PR(Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 10 February 2022

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of São José dos Pinhais (334,620 inhabitants in 2021, therefore Paraná's 6th most populated municipality; 94,643 ha) is located 10 km south-east of Curitiba.
São José dos Pinhais is the 3rd car manufacturing town in Brazil, with Volkswagen, Audi, Nissan and Renault factories, and the seat of the Afonso Pena international airport, Paraná's main airport. On 16 January 1958, the plane transporting the former President of the Republic Nereu de Oliveira Ramos (1888-1958; President from 11 November 1955 to 31 January 1956, following the suicide committed by Getúlio Vargas) crashed in São José dos Pinhais.

São José dos Pinhais was first settled in 1649 by Portuguese gold scavengers. After their leader, Ébano Pereira, had announced the finding of gold, colonists rushed to the place and founded the small settlement of Arraial Grande on the banks of river Arraial. In 1690, the building of a chapel in the Águas Bella estate boosted the official colonization of the area. The parish of São José was established in 1721 by Raphael Pires Pardinho. The growth of the colony was stopped around 1750 when gold deposits were exhausted. Until the first half of the 19th century, São José kept a low number of inhabitants scattered over a vast territory. In spite of being one of the biggest parishes in the region, São José was abandoned by the religious and administrative powers.
The municipality of São José dos Pinhais was established by Provincial Law No. 10 promulgated on 16 July 1852 and inaugurated on 8 January 1853.
Municipal website

The flag of São José dos Pinhais is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 20 promulgated on 3 September 1971.

Article 1.
The flag of the municipality of São José dos Pinhais has the following characteristics.
Composed of a swimming pool blue quadrilateral, charged in the center with a coat of arms containing a pine tree surrounded by a gear, on a sky blue and light green background. To the right of the coat of arms, a yerba mate plant, and to the left, a wheat plant. On the upper part of the coat of arms, a white scroll with the words "MUNICÍPIO DE" and in the bottom, another white one with the words "S. JOSÉ DOS PINHAIS - 8 DE JANEIRO DE 1.853". In the central part, at the foot of the shield, a white branch.

Article 3.
The design of the municipal flag shall obey the following rules.
I - The width shall be 14 units.
II - The length shall be 20 units.
Leis Municipais database


Ivan Sache, 10 February 2022