Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | munhoz de melho |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Munhoz de Melho (3,678 inhabitants in 2010; 13,702 ha) is
located 450 km north-west of Curitiba.
Munhoz de Melho was established in 1944 as Colonia de Nacionais Interventor, a name shortened in 1950 to Interventor. The name was coined by Gustavo Ribas, as a tribute to his father, Manoel Ribas (1873-1946), "interventor" (~ Governor) of Paraná from 1932 to 1945, who offered a vast domain to establish the new colony.
The municipality of Munhoz de Melho was established by State Law No. 2,473 promulgated on 3 November 1955, separating from Astorga. The new municipality was named for José Munhoz de Mello (1912-1994), President of the Court of Justice of Paraná from 1953 to 1958.
The flag of Munhoz de Melho is yellow with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Image from the municipal website
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2022