Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | quatro barras |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Quatro Barras (23,911 inhabitants in 2020; 18,047 ha) is
located 25 km north-east of Curitiba.
The flag and arms of Quatro Barras are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 18 promulgated on 29 June 1985.
The flag of the municipality of Quatro Barras was designed in accordance with heraldry by Sebastião Ferrarini.
The flag of the municipality of Quatro Barras shall be rectangular, in proportions 14 units in width on 20 units in length, pursuant to Article 5 of Federal Law No. 5,700 promulgated on 1 September 1971, with the following characteristics.
a) The geometric figure in which the coat of arms of the municipality is applied is a white circle, which symbolizes eternity, as it has neither beginning nor end.
b) The flag is divided in quarters, made up of two yellow stripes that intersect behind the white circle on which the municipal coat of arms is located.
c) The two quarters above the horizontal stripe shall be green and the two other ones shall be blue.
d) The yellow stripes that start from the center of the white circle symbolize the irradiation of the municipal power to all parts of Quatro Barras' territory. The horizontal stripe represents the stretch of Estrada da Graciosa running through the municipality, draining wealth. At the meeting point with the other road, the geographic location of the municipal seat, Quatro Barras.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Quatro Barras, designed in accordance with heraldry by Sebastião Ferrarini, is composed of a Samnit-type shield, horizontally divided by a black outline into two unequal parts.
The upper, chief rectangle, is quartered by two yellow stripes.
Their intersection, geographically, is the location of the seat of the municipality, Quatro Barras.
The horizontal stripe represents Graciosa Road, built in the 19th century in the Province of Paraná - starting from the coast, precisely from the town of Antonina, and running through Quatro Barras' territory in the east-west direction to Curitiba, capital of the state, where it ends. The vertical stripe represents the road that, at the junction with Graciosa Road, passes through the seat of the municipality of Quatro Barras and runs through the neighboring municipalities of Campina Grande do Sul and Piraquara in the north-south direction.
The upper right quadrilateral features on a blue field Monte Anhagava proper, located in the Serra da Baitaca, representing the relief of the Serra da Graciosa. Very significant for Quatro Barras, Monte Anhagava consists of granite, a rock (stone) that was and continues to be the municipality's basic and traditional source of income.
The upper left quadrilateral features on a blue field the rising sun shining proper, representing the strength of Quatro Barras' people who renew themselves in each dawn, raising their spirit to God, in search of solutions for the municipality's global progress.
The lower right and left quadrilaterals, green, represent Quatro Barras' future urban expansion, conditioned to the environmental and ecological preservation of the region.
The lower part of the shield is divided in three parts, with the following characteristics.
a) Patron saint
The central, white part features a red escutcheon charged with three black arrows, symbolizing glorious St. Sebastian, patron saint of the municipality of Quatro Barras, celebrated annually on 20 January.
The right, green space, features a pine proper standing on the side of Graciosa Road in Florestal, which perpetuates the passage of Emperor Pedro II, on an official visit to the Province of Paraná, all in accordance with the inscription in the granite monument at the foot of it: "In the shade of this pine tree, tradition says, on 21 May 1880, Pedro II and the Imperial cortege rested on their way to Curitiba. Instituto Histórico D.E.R. 1950".
The left, yellow part features a black steam engine, symbolizing the first steam sawmill established in the Province of Paraná, as stated in Ermelino Agostinho de Leão's "Historical and Geographic Dictionary of Paraná": "Florestal Paranaense - Company Founded by notable engineer Antonio Rebouças, in order to develop timber industry, taking advantage of Paraná pine, 8.5 leagues from Antonina and 4.5 leagues from Curitiba, as the first steam sawmill founded in Paraná".
Additional symbols of the coat of arms.
The shield is surmounted by a silver mural crown of eight towers, with black ports and windows, only four of them visible. The mural crown surmounting the coat of arms represents the municipal authority, here the authority of the municipality of Quatro Barras.
The shield is supported on its right by a yerba mate plant and, on its left, by a pine branch, the two green, representing the primary resources of the municipality.
Beneath the shield a red scroll, joining the yerba mate plant to the pine branch, bears the following inscription, in black: "21.5.1880", date corresponding to the passage of Pedro II and the Imperial cortege to the seat of the municipality ; the toponym "Quatro Barras"; and the day, month and year of the political and administrative inauguration of the municipality, "9.11.1961".
1. Blue: Color of the firmament, symbolizes justice, truth, loyalty and beauty.
2. Yellow: The image of maturity of judgment, symbolizing nobleness, magnitude and wealth.
3. White: Pure light, symbolizes integrity, obedience, and vigilance (Peace and Order).
4. Black: Belongs to the domain of intelligence, symbolizes prudence, vigor and honesty.
5. Green: Denotes faith, symbolizes hope, freedom and strength of nature.
6. Red: Is energy, symbolizes strength, courage, triumph.
Leis Municipais database
The flag in use does not match the official description, which is retained on the municipal logo, being quartered green-blue-blue-green.
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022