Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | são mateus do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 10 February 2022
The municipality of São Mateus do Sul (45,806 inhabitants in 2018; 134,263
ha) is located 120 km south of Curitiba.
São Mateus do Sul was "conquered" in 1769 by Lieutenant Bruno da Costa Figueiras, leader of the Fourth Expedition, as a base for the occupation of Guarapuava ordered by Luiz de Souza Botelho e Mourão, Captain of São Paulo. The place was first settled in 1877 by Brazilian colonists; later on, Spaniards failed to establish a colony. Attracted by rumors of petrol deposits in 1885, Germans led by Rudolph Wolff and Gustavo Frederico Thenius established in 1885 a colony named Porto Santa Maria, as a tribute to the patron saint's of the founders' wives and daughters. The place was subsequently renamed to Maria Augusta as a tribute to the wife of Engineer José Carvalho Sobrino, one of the administrators of the colony.
The municipality of São Mateus was established by Law No. 763 promulgated on 2 April 1908 and inaugurated on 21 September 1908. The municipality was renamed to São Mateus do Sul by a State Decree-Law promulgated in 1943.
The end of navigation on river Iguaçu caused the decline of the town, which re-emerged in the late 1960s when Petrobrás established a plant to process schistose extracted locally.
The flag of São Mateus do Sul is blue with a white shield inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 10 February 2022