Last modified: 2015-05-23 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do norte | bento fernandes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
1 April 2014
Based on: http://portalbentofernandense.blogspot.fr/2013/12/bento-fernandes-culto-de-acao-de-gracas.html
located by Aristobulo Lima, 1 April 2014
The municipality of Bento Fernandes (5,110 inhabitants in 2010; 30,108 ha) is located 90 km west of Natal.
Bento Fernandes was formed by the merging of four rural estates, belonging to Barreto, Joaquim Nicácio Nunes, Manoel Rafael Arcanjo and Bento Fernandes de Macedo, respectively. Most of the local population descend from the latter two pioneers. The settlement was known in the 19th century as Barreto, whose name appeared for the first time on a document dated 1804. Luiz Gomes da Silva, Caetano da Silva Sanches and Gaspar Rebouças were granted in 1822 the domain of Barreto. The son and homonym of the Governor of the Captaincy General of Rio Grande do Norte, Caetano da Silva led a people's movement in Natal; he partially funded the erection of the St. Anthony Church in Barreto and offered the bronze weather cock still surmounting the church's spire.
The district was renamed Bento Fernandes by State Law No. 2,353 of 31
December 1958, as a tribute to the farmer Bento Fernandes (1848-1925).
Landlord since 1870 and father of 18 children, Fernandes served as
Police Delegate; he was murdered by a group of foreigners in front of
the chapel of the Sacred Heart of Jesus when attempting to settle a
The municipality of Bento Fernandes was established by State Law No.
2,353 of 31 December 1958, seceding from Taipu. The municipality is
made of the town of Bento Fernandes and of the district of Belo
Horizonte, established by State Law No. 2,889 on 25 June 1963.
- Municipal website: http://www.bentofernandes.rn.gov.br
The flag of Bento Fernandes is white with a celestial blue horizontal stripe outlined in golden yellow. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal emblem.
Photos of the flag:
Ivan Sache, 1 April 2014