This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Erechim, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-07-18 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | erechim |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Erechim, RS (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 10 February 2012

See also:


The municipality of Erechim (105,861 inhabitants in 2019; 43,076 ha) is located 375 km north-west of Porto Alegre.

Erechim emerged in 1908 along the railway built to connect Rio Grande do Sul to São Paulo. The railway station was inaugurated on 3 August 1910. The place was settled by 36 colonists, some of them of European origin (Polish, Italian and German), the other from already colonized areas (Caxias do Sul). Erechim was named for a Caingangue word meaning "a small field".
The municipality of Erechim was established by State Decree No. 2,343 issued on 30 April 1918, separating from Passo Fundo. Erechim is one of the few Brazilian towns whose design was planned before its building, on the model of Belo Horizonte, Hausmanian Paris (1850) and Washington (1791). The urban center is composed of a circle crossed by two diagonals, following the positivist concepts of the time, which places man in the center of everything. Here the central square (Flag Square), aka the Town's Heart, is served by the 10 main roads that irrigate the town.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020


The flag of Erechim is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,007 promulgated on 5 July 1968.

Article 1.
The flag of the municipality, as shown in Appendix, shall be made in dimensions 2.00 m x 1.40 m, with a white background charged with the municipal coat of arms, surrounded by two green stripes, parallel, crossing the flag side to side.
Municipal website


The house featured on the coat of arms is Erechim's landmark and oldest wooden building, the Castelinho (Manor). Built from 1912 to 1915 and inaugurated on 20 April 2016, the Castelinho was the seat of the Land Commission of the State of Rio Grande do Sul, the governmental body in charge of urban and rural planning. The building was therefore the vivid symbol of advancing colonization. Protected as public heritage by the government of Rio Grande do Sul, the Castelinho was transferred in 1988 to the municipality of Erechim.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020