This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Esteio, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-07-18 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | esteio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Esteio, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020

See also:


The municipality of Esteio (80,669 inhabitants in 2010; 27.5 sq. km) is located in the Porto Alegre Metropolitan Area, 20 km of Porto Alegre. Esteio emerged during the building of the railway line in the Porto Alegre Metropolitan Area. In 1873, the newly built Porto Alegre - Novo Hamburgo railway divided the Areião do Meio estate, owned by the Baroness of Gravataí, into two parts. The small village that formed there became the 7th district of the municipality of Sapucaia do Sul. Inaugurated in 1905, the railway station boosted the settlement of the area. In 1930, the engineer Ildo Meneghetti and Osvaldo Kroeff founded the "Cia Geral de Obras de Esteio Ltda.", which sold plots of land in the area; Kroeff's personal plots were located between the railway station and the Bells' River, today the Assis Brasil Exhibition Park. The urbanization of Esteio was increased by the building of the State road Porto Alegre-São Leopoldo.

Ivan Sache, 20 March 2012


The flag of Esteio is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 832 promulgated on 3 May 1973.

Article 1.
The flag is composed of a rectangular panel, divided into four isosceles triangles with the vertices in the flag's center and the bases along the edges, separated from each other by a white stripe. The upper triangle is red, the left yellow, while the coat of arms is placed over the junction of the triangle's vertices.

a) The coat of arms is composed of a panel with three sides, the two lateral formed of mixed, rectilinear and parallel in the upper third and divergent arches, concave and convex, connected by an obtuse angle in the lower end, and the upper formed of a broken line of three sections, the central place above the two lateral, with rounded borders.
The panel divided into two parts by a rectilinear diagonal line running from the upper right corner and reaching the border at the arches' junction, forming two opposite fields, the upper left celestial blue and the lower right golden yellow. the panel charged with a sea green map of Rio Grande do Sul running close to its borders. In the center of the vertical dimension, a white rectangle charged with a light grey stele-column with three superimposed capitals, touching the ends and wrapped by a green-yellow stripe inscribed "28 de Fevreiro 1955"; in the left part a scarlet industrial complex and in the right part a celestial blue winged circle in the rectangle's upper part at the scarlet cogwheel's midpoint. The shield surmounted by a golden yellow mural crown.
Leis Municipais database

The flag was amended by Municipal Law No. 831 promulgated on 13 February 2008.

Article 1.
Item b) shall be added to Article 1. of the Municipal Law No. 832 promulgated on 3 May 1973, as follows:

b) Beneath the shield a scroll with the name "Esteio".
Leis Municipais database

On the flag in actual use, the coat of arms differs from the self-standing version used on official documents by having a thin white outline and the crown not overlapping out of the shield.


Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020