Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | são lourenço do oeste |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 7 November 2021
The municipality of São Lourenço d`Oeste (23,325 inhabitants in 2010; 35,632 ha) is located 660 km north-west of Florianópolis.
Ivan Sache, 7 November 2021
A green flag with a narrow red upright cross bordered yellow, and the municipal arms in the centre on a yellow lozenge.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 10 August 2012
The flag and arms of São Lourenço do Oeste are prescribed by Municipal Law
No. 94 promulgated on 3 July 1972.
The municipal flag of São Lourenço do Oeste, designed by heraldist Arcinoé Antonio Peixote de Faria, shall be: "Quartered by a cross, the green quarters formed by four yellow stripes superimposed with a red stripe placed two by two in the vertical and horizontal dimensions starting from the angles of a central yellow lozenge charged with the municipal coat of arms".
§1. In compliance with the tradition of Portuguese heraldry, of which Brazil inherited the norms and rules, the municipal flags have to be divided in eight, six, four or three parts, using the same colors as in the coat of arms and featuring in the center or at hoist a geometric figure inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
§2. The municipal flag of São Lourenço do Oeste is compliant with this general rule, being quartered by a cross recalling the people's Christian spirit.
§3. The coat of arms featured on the flag represents the municipal government while the yellow lozenge inscribing it represents the town proper, as the seat of the municipality. Yellow is a symbol of glory, splendor, wealth, greatness and sovereignty. The yellow stripes charged with red stripes starting from the angles of the central lozenge charged with the coat of arms represent the municipal power spreading over all the quarters of the territory. Red is a symbol of patriotic love, dedication, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance. The green quarters represent the rural estates scattered over the municipal territory. Green is a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee and abundance; it is also the symbol of hope, which is green since greening fields in spring promise profuse harvests.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of São Lourenço do Oeste, designed by heraldist Arcinoe Peixoto de Farias, is described in proper heraldic language as follows: Samnite shield surmounted by six-towered mural crown argent ports gules. On a field or, a farmer holding a hoe surrounded by four alternated cutlasses gules. The shield supported by maize plants proper interlaced in base and superimposed with a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent the toponym "São Lourenço do Oeste" surrounded by years "1951" and "1958".
The coat of arms shall have the following symbolic interpretation
a) The Samnite shield used to represent the arms of São Lourenço do Oeste was the first style of shield introduced to Portugal by French influence; inherited by Brazilian heraldry, it evokes the colonizing race and main builder of the nation.
b) The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of domain's coats of arms; argent (silver) with six towers, only four of them visible in perspective, it classifies a town of third rank or municipal seat.
c) Or (gold) is the heraldic symbol of glory, splendor, greatness, wealth, greatness and sovereignty.
d) The farmer with a hoe sable (black) recalls that agriculture is the municipality's main source of income.
e) Sable (black) is a symbol of fraternity, austerity, prudence, knowledge and moderation.
f) The bundles of wheat spikes proper represent agriculture as a product of the generous and fertile soil.
g) The cutlasses gules (red) represent slaughtering and trade of pork meat, the main source of employment for the population.
h) Gules (red) is the heraldic symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance.
i) As supporters, the maize plants the main crop produced by the generous and fertile soil and the main source for feeding pigs, the municipality's main source of income.
j) The scroll gules (red) is inscribed the toponym "São Lourenço d`Oeste" surrounded by the dates of establishment of the district ("1951") and of political emancipation ("1958").
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms was modified by Municipal Law No. 255 promulgated on 19 June 1978.
The coat of arms of São Lourenço do Oeste, designed by heraldist Arcimoe Peixoto de Farias, is described in proper heraldic language as follows: Samnite shield surmounted by six-towered mural crown argent ports gules. On a field or, a farmer holding a hoe surrounded by four bundles of three wheat spikes in cantons alternated with four cutlasses gules. The shield supported by maize plants proper interlaced in base and superimposed with a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent the toponym "São Lourenço d`Oeste" surrounded by numerals "21-06" on one side and "1958" on the other.
j) The scroll gules (red) is inscribed the toponym "São Lourenço do Oeste" surrounded by numerals "21-06" on one side and "1958" on the other, which identify the date of emancipation of the municipality: day, month and year.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 7 November 2021