Last modified: 2013-03-23 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | caiabu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
8 October 2012
A red off-centred cross, bordered yellow, on a green field, with the municipal arms on a white disk on the cross.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 8 October 2012
Caiabu was founded by Henrique Pedro Ferreira to grow cotton. Originally named Santo Antônio, the village was renamed Caiabu on 30 November 1944, when established as a district of the municipality of Regente Feijó. The municipality of Caiabu was established by State Law No. 2,456 of 30 December 1953 and inaugurated on 1 January 1955.
The symbols of Caiabu were designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar.
The flag is green with a red, off-centered cross fimbriated in yellow. Over the intersection of the cross' arms is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms. The dimensions of the flag are 14 units x 20 units. The width of the cross' arms is 3 units, while the width of the fimbriation is 0.5 unit. The median of the vertical cross' arms is placed 7 units from the hoist. The diameter of the disk is 8 units, while the coat of arms is inscribed in an imaginary circle of 6.5 units in diameter.
The cross is a symbol of faith. The disk is a symbol of eternity, being a geometric figure without either a beginning or a end. The meaning of the colours is the same as for the coat of arms.
The coat of arms is "An Iberian shield, gules a half sun or issuant from a base vert ensigned by two 'canitars' or, a chief argent a cross Greek gules pommety of 12 acorns or fimbriated vert surrounded by two flames gules. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a branch of cotton and sinister by a sugarcane the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the municipality's name in letters or".
The Iberian shield, used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil, evokes the first colonizers and builders of the country. Gules is a symbol of audacity, valour, valiance, intrepidity, nobleness and honour. The sun is a symbol of eternity, greatness, power, foresight, glory, fame, unity and truth. The "canitares" head-dress recall the original presence of natives in the area; they are a symbol of force, liberty and authenticity. Or is a symbol of wealth, splendour, generosity, nobleness, glory, power, force, faith, prosperity and sovereignty. Argent is a symbol of felicity, purity, temperance, truth, frankness, integrity and friendship. The cross, borrowed from the arms of the Bulhão family, is a tribute to Fernando Martins de Bulhão, better known as St. Anthony, the municipality's patron saint. The flames are a symbol of purity, candour, fame and splendour. They make the arms canting since Caiabu means "Burned Land". Vert is a symbol of courtesy, civility, liberty, joy, friendship, abundance and hope. It is the colour of hope, alluding to the greening fields in spring promising profuse harvests. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation; the open ports are a symbol of hospitality. The branch of cotton and the sugarcane highlight the fertility of the generous soil, being significant sources of income for the municipality.
http://camarapprudente.sp.gov.br/historia/hist_oeste/cidades/caiabu/simbolos.html - "Enciclopédia Digital de Oeste Paulista" website
Ivan Sache, 2 March 2013