Last modified: 2012-11-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | flórida paulista |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
30 October 2012
A white flag, with a union jack-like arrangement of upright and diagonal crosses, coloured green-white-red and the municipal arms on a rectangle in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 30 October 2012
The municipality of Flórida Paulista (12,848 inhabitants in 2010; 5,251 ha) is located in the Adamantina region, 600 km northwest of São Paulo.
Flórida was established in 1941 by José Fróio, Alduino and Antônio Miguel de Mendonça, on land purchased from the CAIC (Companhia de Imigração e Colonização). The name of the place recalls the numerous flowers in the region. The first mass was celebrated on 25 October 1941 by Father Gaspar, the vicar of the Parapuã parish. The district of Aguapei do Alto, part of the municipality of Lucélia, was established in 1944 by State Decree-Law No. 14,334. State Law No. 233 of 24 December 1948 transformed the district into the municipality of Flórida Paulista, inaugurated on 1 April 1949. The municipality was originally made of the two districts of Flórida Paulista (capital) and Atlântida; the district of Indaiá do Aguapei was established on 30 December 1956 by State Law No. 2,456.
The flag is shown on the official site at http://www.floridapaulista.sp.gov.br/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=39
The flag of Flórida Paulista is white with a red-white-green cross and saltire. In the middle is placed a white rectangle charged with the municipal arms.
The coat of arms of Flórida Paulista is prescribed by Municipal Law
No. 517-A of 31 May 1966, as:
"Samnitic shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. Argent an escutcheon gules charged with a sword [argent hilted or] per pale surrounded in base by two laurel leaves [vert] and in chief by the letters 'S P' [or], surrounded by a wreath made of two branches of ivy vert tied in chief and in base. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee fructed proper and dexter by a branch of cotton proper crossed in base. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed 'AMIZADE CONSTANCIA CIVISMO TRABALHO' [Friendship Constancy Public- spiritedness Work] in letters argent."
http://www.floridapaulista.sp.gov.br/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=40 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 31 October 2012