Last modified: 2012-12-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | hortolândia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
7 November 2012
A yellow field with two north-south green diagonals, bordered blue, one on either of the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 2 November 2012
Hortolândia originated in the establishment in the late 18th century of Jacuba, a place whose significance increased in 1917 with the inauguration of a railway station. In 1947, João Ortolan, the owner of Cerâmica Ortolan, the first factory set up in Jacuba, renamed in 1949 Cerâmica Sumaré, was allowed by the administration of Campinas to urbanize the area, founding Parque Ortolândia. The establishment of the Adventist College - now the São Paulo Adventist University - also contributed to the urbanization of the area. The municipality of Sumaré, including the district of Jacuba, was established on 3 December 1953 by State Law No. 2,456. The next year, Jacuba had to be renamed since another district with the same name already existed in the Arealva region. Accordingly, the representative Leôncio Ferraz Júnio coined the name of Hortolândia, as a tribute to João Ortolan; the old inhabitants of the town believe that the addition of the "H" to the name of Ortolan was mostly a typographical error. The municipality of Hortolândia was established on 19 May 1991. Hortolândia recently experienced the biggest growth among the Brazilian municipalities; over the last six years, 200 new companies settled there, proposing 16,000 new jobs.
The flag of Hortolândia is yellow with two diagonal green stripes fimbriated blue. In the middle is placed the municipal emblem. There seem to be two slightly different versions of the flag.
The "official" flag, hoisted outdoors, together with the flags of Brazil and São Paulo State, has the same shade of blue for the fimbriation of the two green stripes.
http://www.hortolandia.sp.gov.br/ - 22 August 2011
The "official" flag, hoisted indoors, has the fimbriation closest to the host with a lighter shade of blue than the other one, as represented on the municipal website. This flag was also used in May 2012 during the celebration of the 20th anniversary of the foundation of the town - and children were taught in school to design this version of the flag. The flag hoisted
http://www.hortolandia.sp.gov.br/ - 25 March 2011
http://brincandoeletrando.blogspot.fr/2011/05/aniversario-da-cidade-de-hortolandia.html - 18 May 2012 http://pequenoslideres.blogspot.fr/2010/10/album-de-fotos-do-acampamento-2010.html - 12 October 2010
[Dirk's image matches the first version of the flag. The green and
yellow shades appear to be the same as on the Brazilian flag]
Ivan Sache, 1 November 2012