Last modified: 2012-12-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | iracemápolis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
13 November 2012
An upright red cross on a yellow field, with a cogwheel in each quarter, and a white bee in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 12 November 2012
Iracemápolis was originally known as Santa Cruz de Boa Vista. The domain ("sesmaria") of Morro Azul Estate was granted to Joaquim Galvão de França and Manoel de Barros Ferraz on 13 January 1817. Around 1820, Brigadier Manoel Rodrigues Jordão established the Morro Azul Estate. One of the warmest supporters of the independence of Brazil, Jordão offered part of his wealth to the Bank of Brazil, whose reserves had been emptied by the Royal family exiled to Portugal. The seat of the estate was built by Silvério Rodrigues Jordão, the founder's son, in 1868-1877; all the stuff required to build the house was shipped form Europe and transported from Campinas to the estate (120 km) on wooden carts. Built in the colonial style characteristic of the coffee boom, the house is the only one in rural Brazil to have a facade decorated with Portuguese ("azulejos") and English wall tiles. Visited twice by Emperor Peter II, the estate was known in the region as Don Pedro's House. The district of Iracemápolis was established, as part of the municipality of Limeira, on 29 October 1923 by Law No. 1,931. The municipality of Iracemápolis was established on 30 December 1953 by Law No. 2,456. The name of the municipality comes from the Tupi-Guarani word, "iracema", "a virgin with honey lips", and from the Greek word "polis", "a town".
The flag of Iracemápolis is yellow with a red cross cantoned by four red wheels, in the middle of the cross a white bumblebee spreading wings. The flag appears to be a banner of the municipal arms, which is quite unusual in Brazilian municipal heraldry.
Photos of the flag http://www.gazetainfo.com.br/site/?r=noticias&id=6806 - 19 February 2012 http://www.legislativoiracemapolis.sp.gov.br/Imprensa/Noticia.aspx?nid=267 - 5 December 2011 http://www.gazetadelimeira.com.br/Noticia.asp?ID=2425 - 12 April 2008
[On the actual flag, the shades of yellow and red appear to be regular, and not faded as on the drawing.]
The coat of arms of Iracemápolis is "Or a cross gules cantonned with four wheels of the same all over a bumblebee argent. The shield surmounted with a mural crown argent ports sable. The shield surrounded dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a sugarcane. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed the toponym 'IRACEMÁPOLIS' in letters or."
The branch of coffee must recall the coffee boom. The sugarcane must recall that the Iracemá sugar factory, located in the town, is one of the most modern in Brazil.
http://www.camarairacemapolis.sp.gov.br/Municipio/Page.aspx?tipo=brasao - Municipal Council website
Ivan Sache, 14 November 2012