This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Matão, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | matão |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Matão, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 6 December 2012 and Ivan Sache, 24 January 2013
Based on: (image behind menu) and

See also:

Description of the Flag

A blue-white-blue descending diagonal triband with the municipal arms on the white stripe.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 6 December 2012

The municipality of Matão (80,222 inhabitants in 2010; 52,701 ha) is located 300 km of São Paulo. The municipality is mad of the town of Matão proper and of the districts of São Lourenço do Turvo (aka Turvo; c. 4,000 inh.) and Silvânia (950 inh.).

Matão was founded as Arrail do Senhor Bom Jesus das Palmeiras. The erection of a chapel was decided on 13 February 1892 in a meeting held in Colonel João de Almeida Leite Moraes' house. The land was offered by José Inocêncio da Costa. The first house in the new settlement was built by Angelo Maccagnan. The first mass was celebrated in the chapel on 25 March 1895, which is considered as the date of foundation of the town. The municipality of Matão was established by State Law No. 567 of 27 August 1898, seceding from Araraquara, and inaugurated on 28 March 1899.

Photos of the flag

The coat of arms is "A Portuguese shield argent a pall sable cantonned with three trees proper. The shield surmounted by a four-towered crown or. The shield supported by two branches of coffee fructed proper. Beneath the shield a scroll inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by the dates '25-03-1895' and '27-08-1898' in letters argent."

The Portuguese shield, adopted by most of the Brazilian municipalities, especially in São Paulo State, is linked to the discovery and colonization of Brazil. Argent is a symbol of triumph, representing the progress of the municipality and the history of its people. The pall sable represents the streets, recalling the Matão, through its geographical location, is virtually linked to all the points of the national territory, which is roughly triangular in shape, and therefore, perfectly integrated. The three quarters represent the elements of the trinity at the origin of the municipality: the pioneers, the Cross of Christ, and coffee. The trees represents the forests ("matas") that covered the region at the time of development of the municipality and the origin of its name. The mural crown is a conventional symbol for a municipality. The branches of coffee recall the main source of income of the municipality. The scroll gules is a symbol of greatness and value, and recalls the cloak of the patron saint of the town, Jesus Christ. The dates on the scroll recall the celebration of the first mass and the establishment of the municipality, respectively.
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2013