This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Santa Ernestina, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-03-16 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | santa ernestina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Santa Ernestina, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 30 January 2013
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

A yellow (gold?) with a centred green cross bearing the municipal arms on a white disk on the cross.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 January 2013

The municipality of Santa Ernestina (5,568 inhabitants in 2010; 13,496 ha) is located 320 km of São Paulo.

Santa Ernestina was founded in 1888 by Manuel de Almeida Rollo and his wife Rachel Umbellina de Almeida, who grew coffee and established the Posses Estate. On 2 April 1901, the Ernestina railway station was inaugurated by the Araraquara Railway Co.. The station was named for Ernestina Reis de Magalhães (1876-1968), the wife of the Carlos Leôncio de Magalhães - a "coffee baron" as the biggest coffee producer in Brazil at the time, Magalhães was one of the founders of the Araraquara Railway Co.. The settlement that developed nearby was named Vila de Santa Ernestina. The district of Santa Ernestina was established, as part of the municipality of Taquaritinga, by Law No. 1,441 of 14 December 1914. The municipality of Santa Ernestina was established on 28 February 1964 and inaugurated on 20 March 1965.

The symbols of Santa Ernestina are prescribed in Article 2 of he Municipal Constitution, adopted on 9 April 1990, as "the flag, the coat of arms and the anthem established by a Municipal Law". - Municipal Constitution

The flag is yellow with a green cross. Over the intersection of the cross' arms is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms.

Photo of the flag (header)

The coat of arms is "Or a castle sable port gules a chief of the same an half sun of the first. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by sugarcane and sinister by a branch of orange fructed the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the municipality's name or."

The image of the flag shown on Wikipedia was recently changed (20 January 2013) by "Prefeitura Municipal". The earlier image had the cross off-centered, while the new one has it centered. Whether the flag was actually changed or the former image was inaccurate is unknown to me.

Ivan Sache, 30 January 2013