Last modified: 2012-08-11 by rob raeside
Keywords: alberta | rycroft | wheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Arnaud Leroy, 5 March 2006
Source: Rycroft town hall
From the Town website:
Located just 64 km north of Grande Prairie, Alberta, is the Village of Rycroft, known as "The Hub Of The Peace". Rycroft has a population of over 600.
The original town site was the old mission located between Rycroft and Spirit River. Because the railroad missed this location, Those early settlers decided to move and it split into two communities, one to the west (Now Spirit River) and one to the east. (Now Rycroft). Rycroft became the railroad centre of the area. So how did the name "Rycroft" originate. In the early 1900's (around 1920) 3 settlers by the names of Doc Calkin, R.H. Rycroft and Bill English put their last names in a hat and Rycroft was the winner. Rycroft was incorporated as a village in March 14, 1944.
The Old Mission Cemetery is administered by the St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church of Rycroft.
Phil Nelson, 5 March 2006