Last modified: 2012-08-11 by rob raeside
Keywords: mission | british columbia | trees: conifer (4) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Blas Delgado
Four conifer trees radiating out in compass-like fashion.
The flag is a banner of the arms, granted 27 March 1992, the centennial of the original District. Even though the central part of Mission is called "Mission City", it is actually a District, and not a City. The District's website name even claims city status.
The (first) Municipality of Mission ("Corporation of the District of Mission") was incorporated in 1892, and the (separate) Village of Mission in 1922 (after the status of "Village Municipality" was created in 1920), the Village became a Town in 1957, and finally the Town and Municipality joined as the District of Mission on 3 November 1969.
Mission got its name from the first Catholic mission in the area. This is separate from another Catholic building, the monastery Westminster Abbey, which stands out in Mission's skyline on the hill above the city . The gold parts of the cross symbol on the arms and flag are made to resemble the tower of the Abbey.
Located in the Fraser Valley Regional District, along with Abbotsford and
Dean McGee, 10 September 2005