Last modified: 2020-06-20 by rob raeside
Keywords: stephenville | newfoundland and labrador |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Town of Stephenville (6,719 inhabitants in 2011; 3,569 ha) is located in
Stephenville was known from 1848 to 1870 as Indian Head. The early settlers of the place, William Hunt and James Penney, from Margaree, Cape Breton, founded in 1844 a settlement known as the Acadian Village. The today's name of the town refers to the first person born in the area, Stephen Gallant or Stephen LeBlanc. In 1941, Stephenville counted some 500 inhabitants living from farming and fishing. The population increased to 7,000 people within a few years, following the construction of the Stephenville Air Base of the US Air Force, which was renamed Ernest Harmon Air Force Base on 23 June 1948. In 1957, the Canadian Department of Transportation constructed an air terminal building to accommodate Trans Canada Airlines. The Air Force Base was closed in 1966. Owned and operated by a local airport authority, the Stephenville Airport is now a technical stop for international flights on route to Europe.
http://www.townofstephenville.com - Municipal website
The flag of Stephenville is in proportions 1:2, vertically divided blue-white-blue, 1:2:1, with the town's emblem in the middle. The town's emblem prominently shows an airport runaway and an airplane, alluding to the former US Air Force Base, now the Stephenville Airport.
Ivan Sache, 12 August 2012