Last modified: 2012-09-08 by rob raeside
Keywords: stewiacke | nova scotia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image provided by Sheldon Dorey, 24 July 2010
The flag of the Town of Stewiacke, Nova Scotia, is a Canadian style triband
with three vertical stripes of blue-white-blue. In the center of the wider white
stripe the town coat of arms (shield) is positioned. Image of the flag thanks to
Sheldon Dorey, Chief Administrative Officer.
About the town:
"Stewiacke (2006 population: 1,422) is a rural town located in southern Colchester County, Nova Scotia, Canada. The town was incorporated on August 30, 1906. Stewiacke was named in the language of the local Mi'kmaq, First Nations people, and is a word meaning "flowing out in small streams" and "winding river" or "whimpering or whining as it goes". The town is located in the Stewiacke Valley at the confluence of the Stewiacke and Shubenacadie River and is a service and support centre for local agricultural communities as well as a service exit on Highway 102." - from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewiacke,_Nova_Scotia
Official website: http://www.stewiacke.net/content
Valentin Poposki, 24 July 2010
The symbols of Stewiacke were granted on 15 November 2007 by Letters Patented registered on the Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges, Vol. V, p. 584, as announced on 8 March 2008 in the Canada Gazette, Vol. 142, p. 551.
Azure a fess wavy between in chief a pine tree flanked by two milk pails and in base a steam locomotive wheel argent;
A bald eagle wings elevated and addorsed holding in the dexter claw a smallmouth bass and perched on elm branches proper;
RESPECT • GROWTH • PROSPERITY;
Azure on a Canadian pale argent an escutcheon of the Arms;
Blue and white are the town and provincial colours. The wavy stripe refers to the town’s name, derived from the Mi’kmaq word Esiktaweak, meaning “a place where sands move”, being a reference to the winding Stewiacke River. The pine tree symbolizes the forestry industry, and the milk pails indicate the importance of dairy farms in the local economy. The railway wheel refers to the town’s origins with its rail station established in the 1850s.
The eagle is a notable local bird, and the bass symbolizes sport fishing in the local rivers. The elm branches refer to the trees that were once a feature of local streets.
Original concept of Bruce Patterson, Saguenay Herald, assisted by the heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority.
Painter D. Robert Tunstall
Calligrapher Nancy Ellis
http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=1197 - Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges
Ivan Sache, 2 August 2012