Last modified: 2017-04-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: sainte-catherine-de-la-jacques-cartier | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Sainte-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier (7,706 inhabitants
in 2016; 12,001 ha) is located on river Jacques-Cartier.
Sainte-Catherine was settled by Alexandre Peuvret de Mesnu, Lord of Gaudarville, who was granted on 20 February 1693 the domain of Fossambault, named for his mother, Marie-Catherine Nau de Fossambault. While his two sons died without male heirs, his sister, Marie-Catherine Peuvret, married Ignace Juchereau Duchesnay; their son, Antoine Juchereau Duchesnay, inherited the domains of Gaudarville and Fossambault. His own son, Michel-Louis Juchereau Duchesnay, commissioned Irish immigrants to settle the area, establishing in October 1821 the Saint-Patrice mission. He also erected a manor and a mill. Antoine Juchereau Duchesnay II succeeded his father until the abolishment of the feudal system in 1854.
The parish of Sainte-Catherine was established in 1824, while the parish
municipality of Sainte-Catherine was created in 1855. The municipality lost a
significant part of its territory following the erection of the municipalities
of Lac-Saint-Joseph (1936), Shannon (1946), and Fossambault-sur-le-Lac (1949).
http://www.villescjc.com - Municipal website
Sainte-Catherine is the birth place of Anne Hébert (1916-3000), a poet ("Le
tombeau des rois", 1983), playwright and novelist ("Kamouraska", 1970, "Les
enfants du sabbat", 1975; "Les fous de Bassan", 1982) of international fame, and
the residence of her cousin, the poet Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau (1912-1943).
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/anne-hebert/ - Biography, The Canadian Encylopedia
Ivan Sache, 30 March 2017
The flag of Sainte-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier is white with the
municipal coat of arms.
The arms of Sainte-Catherine, designed in 1965 by the parish priest Jean-Paul Gélina, recall the pioneers who settled the region and the idiosyncratic features of the environment. Above the shield, the clover leaf recalls the Irish pioneers; while the arrows represent the many tourists present since the very beginning of colonization. The red field is a symbol of the ancestors' faith and blood. The two half-heels and the sword symbolize the martyr of St. Catherine of Alexandria, the parish's patron saint. The fess wavy divides the shield into two parts, as river Jacques-Cartier divides the town. The potato heap represents a flourishing crop. The old plane recalls the wood craftsmen and carpenters. Beneath the shield, the motto "SAGESSE ET BEAUTÉ" (Wisdom and Beauty) recalls St. Catherine's legendary wisdom and the beauty of the site, highlighted by poems. The shield is supported by five oak leaves on each side, recalling the Duchesnay forestry school and the ten provinces of Canada.
http://www.villescjc.com/scjc.asp?no=882 - Municipal website
The School of Foresters of Quebec was transferred in 1935 to the Berthierville nursery to Duchesnay, where a village was built to house the students and professors. The Duchesnay Forest Station was established in 1990, as a center of education, training, research and experimentation in forest science. The practice sawmill founded in 1946 was totally revamped in 2000. The station was renamed in 2001 as the Duchesnay Forestry and Wood Technology School.
http://www.cscapitale.qc.ca/duchesnay/default.html - Official website
Ivan Sache, 30 March 2017