This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ferme-Neuve, Quebec (Canada)


Last modified: 2020-07-25 by rob raeside
Keywords: ferme-neuve | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ferme-Neuve flag] image by Olivier Touzeau, 17 June 2020

See also:


Ferme-Neuve is 779.07 km², with 2,800 inhabitants
Olivier Touzeau, 17 June 2020

Ferme-Neuve (New Farm) was established by lumber industry in the second half of the 19th century. The James Mclaren company was granted concessions on the eastern and western banks of Hare River in 1864 and 1901, respectively. More than 300 acres of forest were cleared in canton Pope to establish the Mountain Farm, aimed at supplying food to the different lumbering sites. Around 1888, the farm was acquired by Cyrille Lafontaine, who commissioned his son, Léonard, to manage it.

The reputed soil fertility soon attracted several colonists. A mission was established in 1893 by priest Trinquier, erected in 1901 to the parish of Notre-Dame du Très-Saint-Sacrement de Ferme-Neuve.
The new farm and the surroundings were incorporated to the municipality of the United Cantons of Robertson and Pope, established in 1897, while more remote areas were incorporated to the United Municipality of Wurtele, Moreau and Gravel, established in 1901. The Municipality of the Village of Ferme-Neuve was established in 1917, while the Municipality of the Parish of Ferme-Neuve was established in January 1930. The two municipalities were merged to form the Municipality of Ferme-Neuve on 24 December 1997.
Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 18 June 2020


White flag with logo
Olivier Touzeau, 17 June 2020

The logo features in the foreground a canting representation of Hare River (rivière Lièvre).
Ivan Sache, 18 June 2020