Last modified: 2012-08-11 by rob raeside
Keywords: mont-joli | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Mont-Joli (6,665 inhabitants in 2011; 24.45 sq. km) is
located in the La Mitis MRC, Bas-Saint-Laurent Region.
The flag of Mont-Joli is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle, surrounded by the yellow writing "VILLE DE" (top) / "MONT-JOLI" (bottom).
http://airrally.com/2/story_2009_01.htm - Photo, 14 August 2009
The arms of Mont-Joli were officially unveiled on 23 October 1955, during the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the municipality of the village of Mont-Joli.
The arms are:
"Azure a bend ragully or charged with three winged wheels sable, 1. Azure three scallops argent, 2. Azure a mount argent terraced vert, which is the 'mont joli' [pretty mound] ensigned with a sun or." Supporters: The shield surmounted with a five-towered, crenelated mural crown gules, masoned sable, charged with a cross flory argent. The shield supported by two branches of maple vert leaved of the same slipped and bottony or crossed per saltire and tied with a ribbon azure holding a scroll or inscribed in Gothic letters "Ayde à Autrui, Dieu T'aydera".
The raggy bend charged with the three winged wheels represents the railway. The building of the Intercontinental Railway, inaugurated on 1 July 1876, caused the development of the borough originally called Sainte-Flavie-Station, which seceded from Sainte-Flavie to form on 23 October 1880 the municipality of the village of Mont- Joli. The scallops represent the municipality of Sainte-Flavie. The mount lit by the sun recalls the name of the municipality, making the arms canting. The sun also promises a bright future to the municipality. The mural crown represents a Town. The cross flory represents the Catholic faith and the French origin of the pioneers who founded the municipality, as well as the main ethnicity in the today's population of the town.
Ivan Sache, 23 July 2012