Last modified: 2019-05-20 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 10 January 2004
The College is located in Giron, Santander department. Its
flag is horizontally divided yellow-green with the College emblem
in the middle.
Source: www.voluntad.com.co, located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2004
image by Ivan Sache, 24 January 2019
Institución Educativa José Antonio Galán, located in La Tableza, La Estralla
(Antioquia Department), is composed of four seats, José Antonio Galán, Atanasio
Girardot, Tulio Ospina and La Inmaculada.
The flag of IE José Antonio Galán is prescribed in Article 7 of the Manual de Convivencia, as horizontally divided green-white-red. Green represents hope, friendship and service. White represents purity, integrity and firmness. Red represents force, triumph and audacity.
https://www.jaga.edu.co/phocadownload/Documentos/2017/ManualConvivenciaCompleto.pdf, Manual de Convivencia
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2019
image by Ivan Sache, 24 January 2019
Institución Educativa José Antonio Galán is located in San Bernardo
(Cundinamarca Department). The school is named for José Antonio Galán
(1749-1783), leader of the Commoners insurrection in Santander (1781-1782).
Captured on 13 October 1781 in Chaguanete, near Onzaga, Galán was brought to
Socorro; sentenced to death on 30 January 1782, he was executed the next day.
The flag of IE José Antonio Galán is composed of three colored stripes of equal size, placed horizontally as follows:
Celestial blue: Represents water resources as the source of life and the school's compromise to preserve and conserve it through promotion of ecological awareness in the educational community.
White: Represents the promotion of culture and peace through an healthy coexistence and the respect and defense of human rights.
Green: Represents the aspiration to a better future based on the protection of natural environment as a vital axis of survival.
http://iejoseantonigalan.blogspot.com/2010/07/simbolos-de-la-institucion.html, School blog
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2019
image by Ivan Sache, 13 January 2009
"Colegio de Educación Básica y Media Técnica 'José
Benigno Perilla'", founded in Somondoco (Department of
Boyacá) by María Lidia Puentes González (b. 1939), was
recognized on 10 August 1962 by the Department of Boyacá (Decree
No. 546), as "Escuela Normal Superior Femenina 'José
Benigno Perilla' de Somondoco". The institute is named after
José Benigo Perilla (1831-1893), second Archbishop of Tunja
The flag of the institute is shown graphically on the website of the institute, as horizontally divided white-green with the emblem of the institute in the middle. White means purity while green means hope. The written description does not mention the emblem; moreover, the flag is said to have been officially approved in 1970 whereas the emblem was designed in 1981. Therefore I beleive that the flag actually used is without the emblem.
The emblem of the institute was designed in 1981 by student Abraham Sánchez Sánchez. The shield is divided into four concave quarters by a red cross. The upper left quarter shows a white open book on a green field. The upper right quarter shows a red quill and inkpot on a hwite field. The lower left quarter shows a red torch on a white field. The lower right quarter shows a white diploma on a green field. A white escutcheon charged with a green pair of scales is placed in the middle of the shield. The shield is topped by a golden mural crown. The green writing "Colegio de Educación Básica y Media Técnica José Benigno Perilla Somondoco Boyacá" is placed on a scroll under the shield. The cross recalls the cultural heritage and, especially, His Grace José Benigno Perilla; red symbolizes the sacrifice and constancy expected form the students. The book is the symbol of science, culture and work. The quill and inkpot symbolize empowerment, commitment and creativity. The torch is the symbol of knowledge and eternal spitritual light. The diploma symbolizes abnegation and great expectations. White and green are taken from the flag of the institute. The pair of scales represents commerce. The mural crown represents integrity, firmness and education expected to form a fortress. Gold is the symbol of obedience.
Ivan Sache, 13 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 13 March 2017
Colegio Mayor José Celestino Mutis was established in November 1950 by Dr.
Manuel Antonio Bernal Ramírez (1917-1982) and his wife, Blanca Sánchez de
The institute is named for the botanist José Celestino Mutis (1732-1808). After graduation at the Royal Surgery College in Cádiz, Mutis was hired in 1760 as his personal doctor by Pedro Messia de la Zerda, Vice-Roy of New Granada. A brilliant scholar, he was appointed in 1762 Lecturer in Mathematics at the Colegio del Rosario (today, the University of Bogotá). From 1766 to 1766, Mutis explored the provinces of Pamplona and Ibagué to established silver mines; he was appointed in 1777 manager of the El Sapo mine in Ibagué. Mutis' main interest, however, was in natural history. The request of funding a scientific expedition submitted to Charles III in 1763 and reiterated next year remained unanswered. Not discouraged, Mutis had to wait for 20 years: on 29 April, the court initiated the "Royal botanical expedition in the Kingdom of New Granada", with the support of Vice-Roy Antonio Caballero y Góngora. The royal approval of the expedition increased the fame of Mutis among botanists; he was elected member of the Academy of Sciences of Stockholm, corresponding member of the Royal Garden in Madrid, and member of the Royal Academy of Medicine. The court acknowledged his records and proposals of use of plants from New Granada for healing purpose. In an expedition made in 1772 with Pedro Ugarte, Mutis discovered cinchona trees in Sierra de Tena; he promoted the extraction and export of quinine, especially in the article "Arcano de la Quina" (The Secrete of Quinine), published in May 1792 in the Santa Fé de Bogotá gazette.
Mutis' expeditions and research were not aimed at increasing the benefits of
the court but at boosting the cultural and economical development of New
Granada. He was involved in the establishment of the Sociedad Patriótica de
Nuevo Reino de Granada (1801) and the creation of the astronomical observatory
of Santa Fé de Bogotá (1803), in strong opposition with the Spanish courtesans
led by Gómez Ortega. Mutis expected his collections and papers to remain in New
Granada for the sake of progress and education; the political unrest, however,
prompted the shipping of his material to Spain in 1817, where he was shared
between the Royal Botanical Garden and the Royal Academy of History.
http://www.rjb.csic.es/jardinbotanico/jardin/index.php?Pag=89 - Complete biography, Royal Botanical Garden
The flag of the institute is divided pearl gray-wine red by the descending diagonal, with the institute's coat of arms in the center. Wine red, the colour of noble purple, represents the nobleness of the students educated at the institute. Pearl gray, the colour of steel, represents the force and courage transferred to the students for achieve high goals in their personal development and project themselves in a promising future.
The coat of arms of the institute is tierced per bend sinister pearl gray-white-wine red. The meaning of the colours is the same as on the flag, with alabaster white added as a symbol of limpidity. All over are placed a torch and a quill crossed per saltire, superimposed with an open book inscribed with the letters "M A B R", the initials of the institute's founder. The shield has a black border inscribed with the institute's name and Latin motto, "VBI LABOR IBI VIRTUS" (Where There Is Work, Virtue Is Present)) in yellow letters.
http://www.mutisschool.com/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=49&Itemid=64 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 13 March 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 07 December 2014
Colegio José Eusebio Caro (Colcaro) is the continuation of the Casa de
Estudio established on 17 May 1834 in Ocaña (Norte del Santander Department) by
General Francisco de Paula Santander and renamed in 1906 Liceo de San Luis
Gonzaga by José María Rojas. Colegio Provincial José Eusebio Caro was
established by Decree No. 66, adopted on 22 April 1911 by the Assembly of the
newly formed Norte del Santander Province. The institute is named for the poet
and writer José Eusebio Caro Ibañez (1817-1853), co-founder in 1849 of the
Colombian Conservative Party.
The flag of Colcaro is horizontally divided green-white.
Source: http://centenariocolcaro.blogspot.fr/2010/10/simbolos.html - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 07 December 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 9 July 2014
INEM José Eusebio Caro was established in Cúcuta (Norte de Santander
Department) by Decree No. 1,962 of 20 November 1969. Classes started on 6
April 1970. Centro Miguel Müller and Escuela Ciudad Jardín were merged with
INEM José Eusebio Caro by Decree No. 896 of 30 September 2002. The
institute is named for the poet and writer José Eusebio Caro Ibañez
(1817-1853), co-founder in 1849 of the Colombian Conservative Party.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-blue with a yellow triangle placed along the hoist. White represents purity. Blue represents the infinite horizon. Yellow represents intellectual resources.
http://www.inemcucuta.4t.com/custom3.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 9 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 5 July 2014
INEM José Felix de Restrepo is located in Medellín
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided red-yellow-green. Red is a symbol of valiance, nobleness, intrepidity, generosity, honor and strength. Yellow is a symbol of sovereignty and prosperity. Green is a symbol of liberty, friendship, service and respect.
http://inemjose.edu.co/colegio/attachments/2123_Manual%20de%20Convivencia%202014.pdf - Institute' Constitution
Ivan Sache, 5 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 9 October 2018
Liceo José Félix Jiménez was established in 1965 in Pasto (Nariño Department)
by Father José Félix Jiménez, as Liceo la Presentación. The school was renamed
for his founder by Resolution No. 1,463, adopted on 31 August 2007.
The flag of Liceo José Félix Jiménez is horizontally divided blue-white-blue with a yellow triangle placed along the hoist. Blue is a symbol of truth and knowledge, establishing a mental balance between facts and knowledge and between people and values. White is a symbol of peace and purity. The yellow triangle represents positive action towards a better world centered on reality.
Ivan Sache, 9 October 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 12 September 2014
Colegio José Ignacio López was established in Sincelejo (Sucre Department) by
Departmental Resolution No. 574 of 8 November 1971. The institute is named for
His Grace José Ignacio López Umaña (1883-1974), Bishop of Garzón (1924-1942) and
Archbishop of Cartagena (1943-1974).
Source: http://www.iejoseignaciolopez.edu.co/ - Institute's website
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-red-green.
Source: http://www.iejoseignaciolopez.edu.co/contactenos/bandera - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 12 September 2014