This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kastl Market Town (Germany)

Markt Kastl, Landkreis Amberg-Sulzbach, Bayern

Last modified: 2022-04-02 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: kastl | fleur-de-lis(6) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Kastl town banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 31 Mar 2022
See also:

Kastl Market Town

Kastl Banner

It is a blue-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 31 Mar 2022

Kastl Coat of Arms

Shield Azure six fleur-de-lis Argent ordered 3:2:1.
Meaning:
King Ludwig the Bavarian granted the rights of a market town in 1323. The pattern displays the legendary arms of the Counts of Kastl and Sulzbach, which were used also by the Benedictine Kastl Monastery since around 1400 in order to remind on its founder, who founded it in 1103. The existence of a court seal of the monastery is proven by prints since 1475, displaying the fleur-de-lis superimposing a crozier. This seal was used by the town between 1584 and 1610, after the monastery had been secularised in 1563. The first proper town seal was in use since 1612. The blue tincture was confirmed in all known written sources.
Source: Stadler 1965, p.82
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 31 Mar 2022

The banner has never been approved officially. The arms were granted on 5 June 1584 by Palatine Count Johann Kasimir.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 31 Mar 2022


back to Amberg-Sulzbach cities and municipalities click here