This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ellgau Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Ellgau, Landkreis Augsburg, Bayern

Last modified: 2020-10-30 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ellgau | raft | fess(embattled) | base(embattled) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ellgau municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Oct 2020
See also:

Ellgau Municipality

Ellgau Banner

It is a blue-white-blue vertical triband. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Oct 2020

Ellgau Coat of Arms

Shield parted per fess wavy, above Azure a raft Or in bend sinister with oar of the same, beneath Argent a fess embattled Azure over a base embattled Azure.
Rafting of timber had been an important business line in the past. In Ellgau had been a mooring place for rafts. Ellgau was first mentioned in 1126, when Heinricus de Eligin donated local estates to the Abbey of St. Ulrich and Afra, which had been the local manorial lord since then until 1803. The embattled fess is taken from the arms of the Marshals of Oberndorf, who lived in the village since the 13th century. Siegfried Marschal of Oberndorf enfeoffed his castle to the Bishops of Augsburg and the Marshals of Pappenheim in 1299. By inheritance it became later a possession of the Pappenheim kin, who sold the village in 1735 to the Fugger kin, represented in the arms by theit tinctures blue and golden.
Source: "Unser Landkreis Augsburg", Bamberg 1993, pp. 143-144
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Oct 2020

The arms were approved on 21 March 1969 by Minister of Interior of Bayern.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Oct 2020

back to Augsburg cities and municipalities click here