Last modified: 2013-04-13 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: freiburg | freiburg im breisgau | saint george cross |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
White with a red cross. Thus a banner of the arms.
Sources: Staack 1997 and the Flag Data Bank website.
Stefan Schwoon, 3 March 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Freiburg was already a city in the early 13th century. (...) In 1368 the city became an Austrian possession, and the cross appeared as the city arms. The arms thus have not changed since. The cross is the symbol of St. George, the patron saint of the city. Prior to 1368 the city used the red cross on its banner, but not on the seal or as arms. (...)
Literature: Stadler 1971, p.40.
Santiago Dotor, 10 January 2002
back to Baden-Württemberg counties and municipalities click here