Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: veldenz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jörg Majewski, 22 Oct 2009
flag adopted: ?
It's a Banner of Arms, see Ralf
"VELDENZ, State : Rheinland-Pfalz, District (Kreis) : Bernkastel-Wittlich (until 1969 Bernkastel), Verbandsgemeinde : Bernkastel-Kues
Origin/meaning: The arms show the lion of the counts of Veldenz on the arms of the Wittelsbach family.
The counts of Veldenz founded a castle in Emichonen in 1115 and named themselves after the area (Von Veldenz). The town became a city in 1286 as a grant of King Rudolf of Habsburg. The counts of Veldenz ruled until 1444, when the county was incorporated in Pfalz-Zweibrücken. From 1543-1694 a branch of the Wittelsbach family (see also Bavaria), who ruled the Pfalz since the 13th century, named themselves after Veldenz.
Consequently the Wittelsbach arms were incorporated in the towns arms.
The present arms were granted in 1953.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes."
Jarig Bakker, 22 Oct 2009