Last modified: 2013-12-14 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis kelheim | kelheim county | coat of arms: chief (lozengy: white-blue) | coat of arms: per pale (flowers: 3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 14th October 1960, flag adopted 31st October 1975
Blue-white-blue stripes, adopted 31.10.1975. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
Stefan Schwoon, 27 September 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on October 14, 1960 and confirmed on October 31, 1975.
The chief shows the arms of the Wittelsbach dynasty and Bavaria. The area was already part of Bavaria in the 11th century and Kelheim was for a short period the residence of the Wittelsbach family. The lower right part of the arms shows the arms of the Counts of Rosenheim. A part of the district was, before it became part of Bayern in the 14th century, ruled by the Lords of Siegenburg and the Lords of Wöhr. The latter were descendants of the Counts of Rosenberg and used the same arms. The lower left half shows the divided shied of an important local noble family, the Lords of Abensberg, who became extinct in 1485.
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.
Santiago Dotor, 5 December 2003