Last modified: 2013-12-14 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis hammelburg | hammelburg county | coat of arms: chief (crown: open) | coat of arms: per pale (cross: black) | coat of arms: per pale (cross: latin) | coat of arms: per pale (per fess dancetty) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 15th December 1955, flag adopted 12th February 1963, abolished 30th June 1972
Yellow-black-yellow, adopted 12.02.1963. Annexed to Bad Kissingen county under the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 15 August 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on December 15, 1955. The crown in the upper part symbolises the Royal estate in the 7th-8th century. It was given to the Fulda abbey by Charlemagne in 777. The Bishops of Fulda ruled a large part of the district until the beginning of the 19th century. This is symbolised by the black cross of Fulda. The eastern part of the district belonged to the Prince-Bishops of Würzburg and the arms of the State of Würzburg are seen in the fourth quarter [sic rather in the sinister half].
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 16 July 2003