This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Radeberg City (Germany)

Stadt Radeberg, Landkreis Bautzen, Sachsen

Last modified: 2022-12-03 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: radeberg | lion(blue) | sword | demi-wheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Radeberg city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Nov 2022
See also:

Radeberg City

Radeberg Banner

It is a yellow-blue vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Nov 2022

Radeberg Coat of Arms

Shield Or, in base a lower demi-wheel Gules with 12 spokes, in chief a lion passant Azure, armed and tongued Gules, tierced by a sword Argent in pale hilted Sable.
A village existed already in the late 12th century. The existence of a castle of the Margraves of Meißen is proven since 1289. The new settlement with regular ground view was first mentioned in 1344. It gained the status of a market town in 1412 and had a proper council and a mayor in 1413. The council gained the high level cognisance in 1543. Mining was practised for a while but it had not been particularly profitable. Business lines had been the production of glass, iron and furniture. The local beer is famous. The lion is a differentiation of the arms of the margraves, which displayed a lion rampant Sable. The wheel (German: Rad) is a canting element. It is a modification of the family arms of the Radeberc kin, known by a seal of the soldier Thimo of Radeberc from 1233. The family arms displayed three peaces of a wheel, having altogether seven spokes. The wheel is also considered to be a differentiation of the arms of the Archbishopric of Mainz, which displayed a complete wheel. The name of the city is derived from a broken wheel. The lower half has only seven spokes but the omplete wheel would have 12 spokes as it is blazoned.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.365-366
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Nov 2022

The banner is used without approval. The arms were granted on 22 December 1507 by Duke Georg the Bearded of Sachsen and Sagan.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Nov 2022

back to Bautzen cities and municipalities click here