This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cham County (Germany)

Landkreis Cham, Bayern

Last modified: 2022-08-19 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: cham(county) | roding(county) | chief | lozengy(white-blue) | church | st gallus | coronet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Cham County banner (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 1 Aug 2001
See also:

Cham County

The county absorbed the former counties Kötzting, Waldmünchen and Roding in 1973, but its arms and flag remained the same and were confirmed.
Stefan Schwoon, 1 Aug 2001

Cham County Banner

It is a red-white-blue verical tricolour with arms shifted to top.
Source: Linder and Schmidt 2000
Stefan Schwoon, 1 Aug 2001

Cham County Coat of Arms

Shield Gules a church Argent with two towers seen from the South, chief lozengy of Argent and Azure.
The chief displays the arms of the Wittelsbach kin, who ruled the area since 1205. Before 1205 the territory was ruled by the Margraves of Cham-Vohburg. The colours red and white are those of the margraves. The lower part shows the parish church in Chammünster, dedicated to Our Lady of Assumption and one of the main historical buildings in the county. It represents the coming Christianity in the early Middle Ages. The church in the arms is shown in the architecture of the later part of the 13th century.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.23
Santiago Dotor, 3 July 2003

The banner was approved on 4 November 1970. The coat of arms was approved on 17 August 1962. Both were confirmed on 9 December 1970.
Santiago Dotor, 3 July 2003

Roding County until 1972

Roding County Banner

[Roding County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 7 Aug 2001
approved 27 June 1958

It was a blue banner with the arms shifted to top. If I am not mistaken, this is the only official mono-coloured county flag — although several unofficial white flags with arms exist.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000
Stefan Schwoon, 7 Aug 2001

Roding County Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale, at dexter Argent a saint dressed Azure holding a crozier Or and a book Gules, at sinister lozengy of Argent and Azure, chief Gules a royal coronet Argent.
The coronet in the chief is representing the old royal estate near Roding, which dates from the 8th century. The lower dexter half shows St. Gallus, the patron saint of the oldest church belonging to the estate. Since 1486 there is a St. Gallus fair in Roding. The lower sinister half shows the arms of Bayern, as the whole region became part of Bayern around 1200.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.77
Santiago Dotor, 4 July 2003

Banner and coat of arms were approved on 27 June 1958 and abolished on 1 July 1972.
Santiago Dotor, 4 July 2003

back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here