This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Johanngeorgenstadt City (Germany)

Stadt Johanngeorgenstadt, Erzgebirgskreis, Sachsen

Last modified: 2022-09-10 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: johanngeorgenstadt | buildings(3) | inescutcheon | hammer and mallet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Johanngeorgenstadt city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2022
See also:

Johanngeorgenstadt City

Johanngeorgenstadt Banner

It is a red-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: presentation of Klaus Günther given in Hamburg on 16 October 2021
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2022

Johanngeorgenstadt Flag

[Johanngeorgenstadt city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2022

It is a red-white horizontal bicolour with centred coat of arms.
Source: presentation of Klaus Günther given in Hamburg on 16 October 2021
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2022

Johanngeorgenstadt Banner reported 1897

[Johanngeorgenstadt city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2022

It was a red-white vertical bicolour.
Source: presentation of Klaus Günther given in Hamburg on 16 October 2021
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2022

Johanngeorgenstadt Banner reported 1848

[Johanngeorgenstadt city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2022

It was a black-red-white vertical tricolour.
Source: presentation of Klaus Günther given in Hamburg on 16 October 2021
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2022

Johanngeorgenstadt Coat of Arms

Shield parted per fess, above Argent three buildings Gules with towers having spires Sable, beneath Gules an inescutcheon Argent charged with hammer and mallet Sable.
Meaning:
In 1652 Elector Johann Georg I of Sachsen gave permission to some 50 religious refugees from Bohemia to settle down directly at the Bohemian border. In 1654 a "little mountain town" (German: Bergstädtlein) was established, which chose the name of its protector and was named Johanngeorgenstadt. The settlement gained the rights of a market town in 1656. Silver mining became the most important business line and in 1680 there had been 100 pits. Mining declined in the 18th century. Temporarily also tin had been depleted. After mining had come to an end heavy industries became the main business line. In 1662 a hammer mill was established in Wittigsthal, in 1828 a rolling mill for metal sheets in Jugel, in 1714 a sulphur smelter and after 1755 a factory for the production of blue pigments. The hammer mill later was transformed to an iron foundry. The arms changed in details various times. After WW2 the spires first had been red. The shape of the inescutcheon was different on local seals from around 1900. Otto Hupp (around 1925) displayed the shield completely red, the buildings white with blue spires and the inescutcheon, containing hammer and mallet golden and in bend.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.215-216
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2022


back to Erzgebirge cities and municipalities click here