This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lübeck Citizens' Guards (Germany)

Lübecker Bürgergarde (1814 - 1867)

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: luebeck | eagle(black) | eagle(double headed) | inescutcheon | coronet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Lübeck Citizens' Guards(Germany)] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Feb 2014 See also:

Lübeck Citizens' Guards (Lübecker Bürgergarde / 1814 - 1867)

After the French occupation forces had withdrawn from Lübeck on 9 March 1813, the citizens' guard was deployed in order to keep law and order within the city. It consisted of three infantry companies, one detachment of rifles and a very small cavalry, which however could not avoid a new occupation of 6000 French and Danes on 3 June 1813. When the last occupation forces had left the city on 15 December 1813, the troop was restored immediately.
On 21 September 1814 rules were published within a decree of the senate of Lübeck. Since then the guards had four battalions consisting of 14 infantry companies and two rifles companies, altogether a bit more than 1900 soldiers. The rifles were already dissolved in 1831.
On 21 October the guards were reorganized by the senate. The number of soldiers was reduced to 1200, serving in the active battalion (780 men) and the reserve battalion (420 men). During the following decades there was not really much to do. The guards were mainly a police and mere supporters of the local soldiery. Since 1850 the guards were considered to be defunct. Since 1867 the city was defended by Prussian troops and on 1 November 1867 the guards were dissolved.
Source: Thomas Schwark: "Lübecks Stadtmilitär im 17. und 18. Jahrhundert. - Untersuchungen zur Sozialgeschichte einer reichsstädtischen Berufsgruppe", published by Lübeck City Archive, Lübeck 1990, ISBN 3-7950-0456-X, (proceedings concerning the history of the Hansa City of Lübeck, vol.B18), pp.59ff.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Feb 2014


Probably every batallion between 1814 and 1827 had its proper colour. All colours looked the same. Probably there was an additional main banner. Within source one can see the colours of the 3rd battalion (obverse) and the 1st battalion (reverse) plus three other colours with invisible pattern. Among them the central colour, probably the main banner was bigger.

Flag of the 3rd battalion (1814 - 1827)
The ratio was approx. 1:1. The sheet was white, surrounded by silver fringes. In the centre was the black, double headed eagle of Lübeck with inescutcheon, (probably) armed and tongued red. The eagle was topped by a crown in natural colour. Above was an inscription in Gothic, (probably) golden letters "Bürgergarde" and below of the same kind "Drittes Batallion". The rearside probably was a mirror image of the obverse, as to be seen on the flag of the 1st battalion.
Please note, that the source is a B/W photo. Thus the colours of inscription and claws and beak of the eagle can't be guaranteed.
Source: Vaterstädtische Blätter (annual), vol.1904, p.88
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Feb 2014

back to Lübeck Military Flags click here.