Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bad kissingen county | eagle(1/4) | cross(couped) | fountains(3) | chequered | hen | franconian rake | lozengy(white-blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Red-white-black stripes, bearing the arms. The arms must be used because otherwise the flag might be mistaken for an Arabian state (sic) [i.e. Yemen]. approved 29 May 1973.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
Stefan Schwoon, 9 Feb and 8 Oct 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website: "The new arms were granted on May 29, 1973. The chief shows the symbol for a health resort (Bad), three of the largest Bavarian resorts are in the county. The lower dexter half shows the eagle and chequered field of the arms of the Counts of Henneberg. The Counts of Henneberg ruled a large part of the county for many centuries. Another, newer, version of their arms was also part of the arms of Hammelburg. The cross is the cross of the State of Fulda and is taken from the arms of Bad Brückenau.
Literature: [Linder and Olzog 1996?]"
Santiago Dotor, 29 October 2001
Red-white-black. The county was united with Brückenau and Hammelburg counties in the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.15.
Stefan Schwoon, 14 August 2001
The old arms were approved on 12 February 1963. The arms show the three most important rulers in the region in former times. The chief displays the
arms of Bavaria, as the district is part of Bavaria. The hen on a mountain is the canting arms of the Counts of Henneberg, who owned the main part of the district until the 14th century. The third field shows the arms of Franconia, which are the arms of the Bishops of Würzburg, who gradually acquired most of the area during the 13th-18th century.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.15
Santiago Dotor, 15 July 2003
Yellow-black-yellow, coat-of-arms approved 15 December 1955, flag approved 12 February 1963, abolished 30 June 1972. Annexed to Bad Kissingen county under the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.42
Stefan Schwoon, 15 Aug 2001
The arms were approved on 15 December 1955. The coronet in the chief is symbolizing the Royal estate in the 7th-8th century. It was given to the Fulda Abbey by Karl the Great in 777. The Bishops of Fulda ruled a large part of the district until the beginning of the 19th century. This is symbolized by the black cross of Fulda. The eastern part of the county was adominion of the Bishops of Würzburg and the
arms of the State of Würzburg are seen in the fourth quarter [sic rather in the sinister half].
Source: Stadler 1964, p.42
Santiago Dotor, 16 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here