Last modified: 2012-08-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: werdohl | tierced per pile | rose(red) | chain(white) | markian chequered bar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Werdohl received city rights in 1936 but also used arms while it was still a rural commune. A first design was created in 1916. After some changes it was adopted in its current form by the local council in 1929, and formally granted in 1935. Even more unusually, the statutes of the town have no clause specifying the symbols. Hostert 1979 shows the flags which are in actual use: a red-white flag with the arms for hoisting (above) and a red banner with a white square containing the arms and the letters 'WERDOHL'.
Stefan Schwoon, 28 Jun 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
"The arms were granted in 1935, one year before Werdohl became a city. As there were no historical seals or arms known, the arms were newly devised. The chequered bar is taken from the arms of the Counts of Mark, as the town belonged to this dynasty for several centuries. The rose is taken from the seal of the local parish. The broken chain is taken from the arms of the Lords of Neuhoff, whose ancestral castle Pungelscheid is in the municipality. One of the members of this family, Baron Theodor von Neuhoff was for a short period in 1736 King of Corsica."
Source: Stadler 1972, p.98
Santiago Dotor, 5 August 2002
image by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 1929
back to Märkisch cities and municipalities click here.