This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Brand-Erbisdorf City (Germany)

Stadt Brand-Erbisdorf, Landkreis Mittelsachsen, Sachsen

Last modified: 2023-01-14 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: brand-erbisdorf | beehive | hammer and mallet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Brand-Erbisdorf city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 6 Jan 2023
See also:

Brand-Erbisdorf City

Brand-Erbisdorf Banner

It is a black-yellow-black vertical triband with ratio of stripes 1:2:1. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top in the yellow stripe.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Jan 2023

Brand-Erbisdorf Banner 1937

[ city banner 1937] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Jan 2023

It was a black-yellow vertical bicolour.
Source: presentation of Klaus Günther, held on DVT 29 in Hamburg on 16 October 2021
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Jan 2023

Brand-Erbisdorf Coat of Arms

Shield Sable, in base a beehive Argent surrounded by bees of the same, in chief hammer and mallet Argent in saltire.
The village of Erbisdorf was possessed by the Cistercian Altzella Monastery, before it was administrated under direct rule of the Dukes of Sachsen in 1552. Shortly after 1500 an irregular settlement of miners was established, which was called "auf dem Brand". It had more than 100 inhabitants in 1551 and gained the privileges of brewing, the right to establish craft guilds and compulsory labour. It also gained the status of a mining town (German: Bergflecken). It was mentioned as a city in 1591 but was still ruled by a judge of the sovereign. Brand gained complete city rights in 1834. Silver mining basically had been the only business line until the 20th century. Brand and Erbisdorf were united in 1912. According to source the oldest arms only displayed hammer and mallet, the symbols of mining, flanked by four roses. Bees and beehive were added in 1833 as symbols of the Cistercian Order, which had been the manorial lord of Erbisdorf. Before 1994 the shield had been silver with black bees, a green or golden beehive and black tools hafted golden. At least since 1900 there existed greater arms with a renaissance shield supported by two miners statant in formal robe. The arms were improved in 1994.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.62-63
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Jan 2023

Banner and current arms were approved on 10 May 1994. The former arms were approved on 25 June 1937.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Jan 2023

back to Mittelsachsen cities and municipalities click here