This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kraiburg upon Inn Market Town (Germany)

Markt Kraiburg am Inn, Landkreis Mühldorf am Inn, Bayern

Last modified: 2020-10-17 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: kraiburg(inn) | coronet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Kraiburg town banner] 5:2 image by M. Schmöger, 25 Jan 2002
See also:

Kraiburg upon Inn Market Town

Kraiburg Banner

It is a yellow-blue vertical bicolour bearing the arms in the upper third. The old flag (of unknown origin and unknown date) had been green-white.
Source: this online catalogue
M. Schmöger, 25 Jan 2002

Kraiburg Coat of Arms

Shield Azure a coronet Or.
The coronet is based on a misinterpretation of the town's name in the 16th century as Kronburg, i.e. the crown's castle or crowned castle. The coronet first appeared on a local seal from 1557 and is part of the common rolls of arms since 1562. The oldest local seal however, probably made in 1493 and known by a print from 1514, displayed a gonfanon with three tips. This symbol reminds on the short rule of Count Hartmann of Werdenberg-Sargans between 1256 and 1259. The gonfanon of Tübingen had been the heraldic symbol of the counts, who were also called "counts of the banner". Before the town had been a possession of the Counts of Ortenburg-Kraiburg. In 1529 Duke Heinrich of Niederbayern acquired the town. The Wittelsbach kin had already granted the rights of a market town in 1385. In the 16th century the meaning of the gonfanon was no longer known, it had been interpreted as a comb and later as a coronet.

  • Wanka 1989, pp.48-49 and
  • Stadler 1965, p.90
    M. Schmöger, 25 Jan 2002 and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Oct 2020

    The arms are in use since about1557/1562. The arms were confirmed and the banner approved on 3 October 1972 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Oberbayern.
    M. Schmöger, 25 Jan 2002

    back to Mühldorf upon Inn cities and municipalities click here